What equipment should I be saving up for?

the 18-200 isnt bad to replace your kit lens though, however as stated above, the 70-200 is a far superior lens...but as a walkabout lens the 18-200 can only really be beat by the new 24-300 due to the added reach. the advantage of the latter is also found in it being an FX lens, so will be compatible when/if you go FF

id def consider getting an 85mm lens for portraits or a 105/135 at the extreme end (unless you get an Ai-S version then its not so extreme lol)

The Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AF-S G looks to be an amazing lens. It retails at $1700 so maybe I'll be able to get it after a few months of saving. Thanks for the suggestions!

The Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AF-S G looks to be an amazing lens. It retails at $1700 so maybe I'll be able to get it after a few months of saving. Thanks for the suggestions!

The 85 1.4D is no slouch either and can be found for quite a bit less money. Gear heads who want the latest are starting to dump them to upgrade. Good time to get an excellent lens for a reasonable price.

The 80-200 2.8d is still available new from Nikon at half the price of the 70-200 VR-II but it is by no means half the lens. Good technique can go a long way towards compensating the lack of VR (which does nothing for moving subjects - only helps with shaky hands or unstable platform).

BTW, you can use any focal length you want for landscapes - just depends what perspective you want for your image.
Just because someone says you NEED such and such to take a particular type of image does not necessarily make it so. You are an individual with your own individual view of things.

BTW, you can use any focal length you want for landscapes - just depends what perspective you want for your image.
Just because someone says you NEED such and such to take a particular type of image does not necessarily make it so. You are an individual with your own individual view of things.

Good point and very true. You can shoot landscape with a 70-200mm. In fact, lots of pros does.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back