What full frame UWA lens to get?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think I'm ready to buy a ultra wide angle lens for my D610. While 24mm decently wide, its just not wide enough for everything I want to shoot.

When I had my D7000, I had the Tokina 12-24 f/4 and that was an okay lens. I just did not care for the focus clutch thing.

So I'm going to say my budget is around $500, could be more but depends on the coming weeks.

Anyways, I can't decide if I want a prime or zoom. I thought about getting the Nikon 20 2.8D which can be had for $350 or so on eBay. Someone recommended me the Tokina 17-35 f/4, their 16-28 f2.8 seems interesting but a little high for my budget. But man I just never cared for that focus clutch.

Tokina also made a 17mm f3.5 for full frame and its auto focus but super slow I guess (better than none). I guess it produces decent results.

I know some recommended the old 18-35D which can be had for cheap on eBay but I hear too many bad things about that lens.

What lenses do you recommend me check out with my small budget around $500?

increase your budget and get the current nikon 18-35 AF-S lens or the 17-35/2.8 lens

Another option is my lens Sigma 12-24mm
Widest full frame zoom lens in the market, it is not fast but you can get it for around 500$ used

increase your budget and get the current nikon 18-35 AF-S lens or the 17-35/2.8 lens
This. seriously. The budget-conscious choice is the Nikkor 16-35 f4, the BEST choice is the Nikkor 14-28 f2,8. You're not going to get them for $500, but when you do get one or the other, your only regret will be that you didn't get them sooner!

This. seriously. The budget-conscious choice is the Nikkor 16-35 f4, the BEST choice is the Nikkor 14-28 f2,8. You're not going to get them for $500, but when you do get one or the other, your only regret will be that you didn't get them sooner!

I want to increase my budget, but I just don't have the funds to. My only option is to just wait and continue saving. Unfortunately I don't have a steady income right now so it will take a bit longer but by that time, summer will be over!

Anyways...I like the 16-35 but I feel that its just too big and heavy for liking. If its like the 17-55 2.8 I had on DX, I wont enjoy it. But the 18-35G is probably THE best wide angle for me. Other alternative is the Tokina 17-35 f/4.

I've been using the Tamron 15-30 for the last few months and trust me when I say it gives the 14-24 a run for it's money, and is like $1k less. The 16-35, 15-30, and 14-24 are all great options, the 16-35 is great because you can use screw on filters too

I've been using the Tamron 15-30 for the last few months and trust me when I say it gives the 14-24 a run for it's money, and is like $1k less. The 16-35, 15-30, and 14-24 are all great options, the 16-35 is great because you can use screw on filters too

I'm sure it is haha, but not something I can afford or want honestly.

I'm sure it is haha, but not something I can afford or want honestly.
THen you have the same options mentioned in the other threads
The ones you don't want but are in your budget

I think the Nikon 18-35 is a good lens to look at if you're on a budget. However, the Nikon 16-35 would be worth saving for.

I think if you take UWA seriously for landscapes, you'll very likely want ND filters. And filters are bloody EXPENSIVE on the Tamron 15-30, or the Tokina 16-35, or the Nikon 14-24, or the Rokinon 14mm. Think about $350 for a single ND filter and a filter holder.

I think the Nikon 18-35 is a good lens to look at if you're on a budget. However, the Nikon 16-35 would be worth saving for.

I think if you take UWA seriously for landscapes, you'll very likely want ND filters. And filters are bloody EXPENSIVE on the Tamron 15-30, or the Tokina 16-35, or the Nikon 14-24, or the Rokinon 14mm. Think about $350 for a single ND filter and a filter holder.

Honestly I just want a wider angle for all the car shows I go to. I know some say the 18-35g is much sharper than the 16-35.

My favorite lens of all time is the Nikkor 18mm f2.8D. It is very wide angle and amazingly well corrected for barrel distortion. You can put a straight line anywhere you want in the frame. But if you are getting the 20 f2.8 then I would suggest the 24 f2.8 or, if you are wealthy, the 24 f1.4.

My favorite lens of all time is the Nikkor 18mm f2.8D. It is very wide angle and amazingly well corrected for barrel distortion. You can put a straight line anywhere you want in the frame. But if you are getting the 20 f2.8 then I would suggest the 24 f2.8 or, if you are wealthy, the 24 f1.4.

I'd love to own the 18 2.8D but its VERY expensive and VERY rare.

It is. Even more expensive is the 14 but I never really liked that lens. I wasn't as straight as the 18. I enjoyed the 16 fisheye as well. Barrel distortion to the point of being fun. In the film days I never had a wide angle zoom so I have no experience with them. I have a 12-24 f4 DX zoom for my current system and it is a pretty good performer if you ever use your camera in DX mode. I would imagine the FX equivalent would be another good option.

It is. Even more expensive is the 14 but I never really liked that lens. I wasn't as straight as the 18. I enjoyed the 16 fisheye as well. Barrel distortion to the point of being fun. In the film days I never had a wide angle zoom so I have no experience with them. I have a 12-24 f4 DX zoom for my current system and it is a pretty good performer if you ever use your camera in DX mode. I would imagine the FX equivalent would be another good option.

If I remember right, I think the 18 2.8D was Nikon's first aspherical lens?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back