What's new

What I have learned about night photos

bunny99123

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 24, 2012
Messages
771
Reaction score
110
Location
Sherwood, AR
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to a lantern festival tonight, and attempted to take photos. Success rate was horrible. One, didn't bring a tripod. Tried to brace against a tree, but still did not work. Two, my camera spent a lot of time processing each shot. I got tired of waiting to see each photo. Spent a lot of time adjusting shutter, aperture, WB, ISO. Was a good learning experience.

Can't wait until I can get a big girl camera, because my friend has one. Adding her 12 years of experience, and the camera/lens she suffered less fustration. Here is one I got half-way decent, it has not been PP.

$Wildwood Lantern Festival.webp
 
Sorry, and I really don't mean to offend...but:

You knowingly went to a lantern festival with camera in hand and didn't take a tripod? No big girl camera in the world is going to cure that issue.
 
EVERYONE makes mistakes with night photography. It is a harsh learning curve.

If you search on my name and "ultimate night photography" you'll find a thread where I give a lot of advice on this.

(I really should put this in my sig)
 
Thanks wepeete!
 
Sorry, and I really don't mean to offend...but:

You knowingly went to a lantern festival with camera in hand and didn't take a tripod? No big girl camera in the world is going to cure that issue.

Not affended. Can't see too good at night, so trying to not fall on trails with my camera was challenge enough...I laughed:)
 
EVERYONE makes mistakes with night photography. It is a harsh learning curve.

If you search on my name and "ultimate night photography" you'll find a thread where I give a lot of advice on this.

(I really should put this in my sig)

Thanks will look that up...a lot harder than I thought.
 
I suggest all beginners do a lot of night shooting, because it makes you practice your mechanics. I did use a tree when I could. I couldn't see very well on the trail, because it was lighted up with those bag lights, and a lot of cracks on the path. Will take the tripod next time.
 
I'm guessing the camera took alot of time processing each shot is because you had noise reduction on. Eg, the camera will be busy one min after you take a one min exposure, 30 secs for a 30 sec exposure etc...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom