WHAT is a "facebook photographer"??

SabrinaO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
And why is it looked down upon here? There are award winning... AMAZING photographers on facebook. I just don't get it. I have a website and a facebook, but that makes me a "facebook photographer" to you all for some reason? What is it? Whats your definition? Why is it so looked down upon? Is it because of the *older* generation of photographers don't want to use it? Do they know how to use it? I get most of my clients through facebook and facebook groups. Word of mouth spreads fast through FB. I just don't see why its looked down upon.

Oh and to answer peoples question from my previous thread which I forgot about that is now locked for some reason..... I've done nothing to the girl. If you saw her pics, you would see why her clients are leaving her to go to other photographers.

A woman I went to HS with is a Facebook photographer. She has absolutely no idea of what white balance means, or does, or how to adjust it. I made the suggestion that she shoot her open shade afternoon senior portraits by setting the white balance manually, to around 6,500 to 6,800 and she flipped out on me, and got totally bent out of shape and suggested that I was attacking her work....apparently her clients "like" the "blue work". Snort! Now, THAT is a Facebook photographer. I know a couple others...no training...lousy compositional skills...decent exposures, but no artistry, no art training, no photography training, bad posing on singles and couples, ZERO idea on how to properly pose family groups from 4 to 12 people....etc.,etc..

The term 'Facebook Photographer' is usually a derogatory term to describe someone who just uses Facebook, rather than getting their own site or using a more established form of marketing. I'd guess that people also apply it to photographers who are less than professional....either in terms of skill, talent & quality...and/or in terms of legally being in business etc.
For example...there are plenty of people you just buy a $600 DSLR, start a facebook group/page and cal themselves professional. That would be the stereotypical 'Facebook Photographer'.

Of course, Facebook is a great marketing tool and many of the most successful (wedding/portrait) photographers use it all the time.

I think it's like the seniors calling you a frosh. Personally when I hear it I think trendy and positive things. Facebook was built basically for photo sharing so it only makes sense to use to advance a photographers client list. Sometimes even after you sock it to the man, the man still doesn't acknowledge you. Facebook is the #2 site in the world!

A woman I went to HS with is a Facebook photographer. She has absolutely no idea of what white balance means, or does, or how to adjust it. I made the suggestion that she shoot her open shade afternoon senior portraits by setting the white balance manually, to around 6,500 to 6,800 and she flipped out on me, and got totally bent out of shape and suggested that I was attacking her work....apparently her clients "like" the "blue work". Snort! Now, THAT is a Facebook photographer. I know a couple others...no training...lousy compositional skills...decent exposures, but no artistry, no art training, no photography training, bad posing on singles and couples, ZERO idea on how to properly pose family groups from 4 to 12 people....etc.,etc..

Derrel, I know someone like this who wanted to "team shoot" with me; she has no idea what white balance is and she definitely shoots in auto - I'm sorry, but her pictures are awful!

It pains me to see that people like down on Facebook photographers, because I kind of am one. I don't have the finances to market otherwise for right now. At the same time, I don't use FB to make myself look awesome. It's for friends and family to see my latest work. I would like to think that I am improving because two years ago, I had no idea how to shoot manual or use white balance! (Scariest thought ever). I try not to let it bug me that said ^"photographer"^ has WAY more fans than me on her FB page, but her work is not nearly matured. I would rather know that I am working to improve than take a huge number of people following my lazy work on Facebook.

Um facebook was built originally for reuniting old schoolfriends together - it then evolved into a major global social networking site for the general population - photosharing is only part of their features and (if you read their terms and conditions) its clear its not their primary site intent - unlike something such as flickr.

As for the term - Big Mike summed it up well.

Um facebook was built originally for reuniting old schoolfriends together - it then evolved into a major global social networking site for the general population - photosharing is only part of their features and (if you read their terms and conditions) its clear its not their primary site intent - unlike something such as flickr.

Yeah sorry, I wrote that wrong, it is most widely used for photo sharing. It's a horrible site for that too, I'm hoping google crushes them to pieces they have a much better photo management program.

Um facebook was built originally for reuniting old schoolfriends together
According to the movie...it was built so that (current) students could interact with one another...mostly having a profile with a name and a face (head shot).

Yeah sorry, I wrote that wrong, it is most widely used for photo sharing. It's a horrible site for that too, I'm hoping google crushes them to pieces they have a much better photo management program.

Google - first they took over the access of information on the internet and know everything you look at
Then they take over your social networking so they know all about you
Soon they'll take over your OS system

Google - out to take over the world - and everyone lets them ;)

Um facebook was built originally for reuniting old schoolfriends together
According to the movie...it was built so that (current) students could interact with one another...mostly having a profile with a name and a face (head shot).

Ahh I might have mixed it up with those other school reuniting services that were popular a few years back

(Ps am I the only one that has a problem hitting "Edit post" instead of "reply with quote" ;)

I seem to notice a natural migration of FB photographers, they're bestbuy photographers 1st? If I recall a few have posted up on here about bestbuy allows credit, zero down, buy now pay later, etc?

1) purchase entry level DSLR, kit lens or maybe a prime, flash from the bestbuy store (bestbuy photographer)
2) create FB page (full FB photographer)
3) charge people

I seem to notice a natural migration of FB photographers, they're bestbuy photographers 1st? If I recall a few have posted up on here about bestbuy allows credit, zero down, buy now pay later, etc?

1) purchase entry level DSLR, kit lens or maybe a prime, flash from the bestbuy store (bestbuy photographer)
2) create FB page (full FB photographer)
3) charge people

Aye but most are charging the absolute bottom rate (not even enough to cover costs) and its really just a "hobby profession" much like the kid who mows the lawn or does the paper round - they won't make money at it and they won't really affect the pros so much; but they will earn a little pocket money from time to time.

Derrel, I know someone like this who wanted to "team shoot" with me; she has no idea what white balance is and she definitely shoots in auto - I'm sorry, but her pictures are awful!

It pains me to see that people like down on Facebook photographers, because I kind of am one. I don't have the finances to market otherwise for right now. At the same time, I don't use FB to make myself look awesome. It's for friends and family to see my latest work. I would like to think that I am improving because two years ago, I had no idea how to shoot manual or use white balance! (Scariest thought ever). I try not to let it bug me that said ^"photographer"^ has WAY more fans than me on her FB page, but her work is not nearly matured. I would rather know that I am working to improve than take a huge number of people following my lazy work on Facebook.

Kric I have to say I can strongly relate to you in this way. I am just a hobbyist with my photography but I had several (strangers!) tell me I should start a Facebook page for my photography...and they weren't biased. So I did, and I have a small fan base and half of them are strangers who just like looking at my photography. I am now doing a few jobs here and there and I do have prices for prints and such there. I don't have the funds to promote myself on a website or in other ways, but FB works pretty well.

And I am just as irked by the whole "more fans than me" thing. I have a friend who has a nice Canon Powershot...not a DSLR of course but it's one of the nice 400 dollar ones that is fully customizable. I have used it before and I adore it...got pictures that were just as good as the ones I get with my DSLR. Anyway, she got this brilliant idea to start up a Facebook page for her "photography". I literally get sick to my stomach looking at her pics. The sad thing is, she thinks she is WONDERFUL. One time she did this awful edit, a 2 year old boy playing with a play fire truck and she made just the fire truck in color, the rest in black and white. I was irked enough by it I said something gently. She messaged me and asked me to not go public with my opinions and that her photos are fine and yada yada. I messaged back and told her that if she was going to be "professional" like she is claiming to be, she needs to take the flack, public or not. She has way more fans than I do on her page and her photos are horribly balanced, the skin looks pale/sick/or too dark, everything is high contrast, sun is in all the wrong place, poses are horrendous...you name it, she does it. But like you, I'd rather focus on becoming better and improving than having a huge fan base. And it helps me that I get plenty of positive feed back from mine, whereas her "customers" don't say anything on their photos...LOL

Big Mike said:

When I signed up for Facebook (years ago - before MySpace) you had to have a college e-mail to join!

Most reactions

Back