WHAT is a "facebook photographer"??

TenaciousTins said:
Kric I have to say I can strongly relate to you in this way. I am just a hobbyist with my photography but I had several (strangers!) tell me I should start a Facebook page for my photography...and they weren't biased. So I did, and I have a small fan base and half of them are strangers who just like looking at my photography. I am now doing a few jobs here and there and I do have prices for prints and such there. I don't have the funds to promote myself on a website or in other ways, but FB works pretty well.

And I am just as irked by the whole "more fans than me" thing. I have a friend who has a nice Canon Powershot...not a DSLR of course but it's one of the nice 400 dollar ones that is fully customizable. I have used it before and I adore it...got pictures that were just as good as the ones I get with my DSLR. Anyway, she got this brilliant idea to start up a Facebook page for her "photography". I literally get sick to my stomach looking at her pics. The sad thing is, she thinks she is WONDERFUL. One time she did this awful edit, a 2 year old boy playing with a play fire truck and she made just the fire truck in color, the rest in black and white. I was irked enough by it I said something gently. She messaged me and asked me to not go public with my opinions and that her photos are fine and yada yada. I messaged back and told her that if she was going to be "professional" like she is claiming to be, she needs to take the flack, public or not. She has way more fans than I do on her page and her photos are horribly balanced, the skin looks pale/sick/or too dark, everything is high contrast, sun is in all the wrong place, poses are horrendous...you name it, she does it. But like you, I'd rather focus on becoming better and improving than having a huge fan base. And it helps me that I get plenty of positive feed back from mine, whereas her "customers" don't say anything on their photos...LOL

That's because people don't know what good photos are! I've had my camera for like 3 months and I've had people ask me to be the photographer at their WEDDINGS and other little events!! I wouldn't want someone like me to shoot my wedding! I suck but because I posted some decent pictures I must be wonderful!

I've never ever said yes to be the photographer for anything because (a) I'm not even close to good enough (b) I don't really want to spend my day doing that when someone else with the experience could/should be the one doing it. Its flattering and I could always use the extra money but I could never do it. I don't know what I'm doing half the time and I sure as hell could never take money for it!

To be honest, I have offered to do a photo shoot with someone on FB for free because I needed 36 portraits for my photography class. But, I explained what is was for and offered to give them a few of the ones that came out the best - but I couldn't guarantee anything. Maybe that's wrong and maybe it's taking business from professionals but it was a 1 time thing and I needed a model that wasn't 2! And the person wasn't Planning on going to get their portraits done.

I seem to notice a natural migration of FB photographers, they're bestbuy photographers 1st? If I recall a few have posted up on here about bestbuy allows credit, zero down, buy now pay later, etc?

1) purchase entry level DSLR, kit lens or maybe a prime, flash from the bestbuy store (bestbuy photographer)
2) create FB page (full FB photographer)
3) charge people

Aye but most are charging the absolute bottom rate (not even enough to cover costs) and its really just a "hobby profession" much like the kid who mows the lawn or does the paper round - they won't make money at it and they won't really affect the pros so much; but they will earn a little pocket money from time to time.

That's me!!! ha ha. I did the math and could never make the money I want doing photography, well not working the hours I want. But I love taking pictures so it makes sense to me as a great way to write off the hobby and have some fun. It's easy to find a job that you love doing, but hard to find a job that you love doing and pays what you want. True the argument could stand that I might make a million a year being some super professional photographer, but I gave up my dreams of being a professional golfer in high school and am glad I did. Photography as a business is hard, but to be a facebook photographer because you love to do it and are not concerned with how much money you make, well that's very respectable. If people are doing it to feed their children, I hope they have a solid back up, or a lot of schooling/experience.

To be honest, I have offered to do a photo shoot with someone on FB for free because I needed 36 portraits for my photography class. But, I explained what is was for and offered to give them a few of the ones that came out the best - but I couldn't guarantee anything. Maybe that's wrong and maybe it's taking business from professionals but it was a 1 time thing and I needed a model that wasn't 2! And the person wasn't Planning on going to get their portraits done.

You're obviously a terrible person, practically taking the food out of the mouths of countless photographers' children.

[/sarcasm]

I'm a FB photographer. Boo!!!

So....I went to Urban Dictionary dot com, and this is what I found. AMAZINGLY, only TEN people have weighed in on the defintion of Facebook Photographer!!

"http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Facebook+photographer

Facebook Photographer

This is some kid who was given or purchased a DSLR and now believes they are photographers. Like every picture they take could be in a gallery.
Emily is a Facebook Photographer"

bentcountershaft said:
You're obviously a terrible person, practically taking the food out of the mouths of countless photographers' children.

[/sarcasm]

Now you've done it! You made me cry - I already knew I was terrible person but now I have to deal with the fact that I am responsible for children going hungry.

:)

TenaciousTins said:
Kric I have to say I can strongly relate to you in this way. I am just a hobbyist with my photography but I had several (strangers!) tell me I should start a Facebook page for my photography...and they weren't biased. So I did, and I have a small fan base and half of them are strangers who just like looking at my photography. I am now doing a few jobs here and there and I do have prices for prints and such there. I don't have the funds to promote myself on a website or in other ways, but FB works pretty well.

And I am just as irked by the whole "more fans than me" thing. I have a friend who has a nice Canon Powershot...not a DSLR of course but it's one of the nice 400 dollar ones that is fully customizable. I have used it before and I adore it...got pictures that were just as good as the ones I get with my DSLR. Anyway, she got this brilliant idea to start up a Facebook page for her "photography". I literally get sick to my stomach looking at her pics. The sad thing is, she thinks she is WONDERFUL. One time she did this awful edit, a 2 year old boy playing with a play fire truck and she made just the fire truck in color, the rest in black and white. I was irked enough by it I said something gently. She messaged me and asked me to not go public with my opinions and that her photos are fine and yada yada. I messaged back and told her that if she was going to be "professional" like she is claiming to be, she needs to take the flack, public or not. She has way more fans than I do on her page and her photos are horribly balanced, the skin looks pale/sick/or too dark, everything is high contrast, sun is in all the wrong place, poses are horrendous...you name it, she does it. But like you, I'd rather focus on becoming better and improving than having a huge fan base. And it helps me that I get plenty of positive feed back from mine, whereas her "customers" don't say anything on their photos...LOL

That's because people don't know what good photos are! I've had my camera for like 3 months and I've had people ask me to be the photographer at their WEDDINGS and other little events!! I wouldn't want someone like me to shoot my wedding! I suck but because I posted some decent pictures I must be wonderful!

I've never ever said yes to be the photographer for anything because (a) I'm not even close to good enough (b) I don't really want to spend my day doing that when someone else with the experience could/should be the one doing it. Its flattering and I could always use the extra money but I could never do it. I don't know what I'm doing half the time and I sure as hell could never take money for it!

I totally know what you are saying. Unfortunately, I was that "facebook photographer" a few years ago who did my first wedding because some friends complimented my work so highly that I couldn't say no. Now I wish I would have went with my gut and said no, because I knew I shouldn't be shooting a wedding. I will never look at those photos again and I bet they won't either :(

At least now I have a "mentor" who lets me second shoot with her at weddings and she is awesome about giving me pointers for doing better next time. The responsibility of the wedding is on her - she's a pro shooter and she has all the technicalities covered and I am there to learn. Having been under her wing has helped me tremendously and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I still ask friends if I can shoot pictures of them for practice and they are willing to oblige. It is never a cost to them and if anything, I always offer to buy them a coffee or get them a gift card for their time. I'm just not willing to be that person who thinks they're awesome when they're not. I think photography requires humility and if you don't have any (especially as a "newb" with a DSLR) then you shouldn't be in this field.

Just for the record: I draw a distinction between Facebook Photographers (caps, proper noun), and photographers who happen to use Facebook as a way to promote their businesses. TO me the Facebook Photographer is a newbie, and has poor skills.

Just for the record: I draw a distinction between Facebook Photographers (caps, proper noun), and photographers who happen to use Facebook as a way to promote their businesses. TO me the Facebook Photographer is a newbie, and has poor skills.

I still feel like a newb sometimes!! Haha . . .

Derrel said:
To me the Facebook Photographer is a newbie, and has poor skills.

Like me!! :)

Have you two ladies seen the degree of improvement SabrinaO has been able to achieve in her lighting? I've been impressed at how good her simple, straightforward child lighting setups are at kicking out pretty much SOOC images that are lighted RIGHT. They are not fancy, six- and seven-light setups with hairlight, rim light, accent light, and kicker light, in addition to main and fill and background, but the lighting setups she's been using are producing work that is about 10x better than other people working in her identical genre. So, you might feel like noobs, but SabrinaO's progress shows one can move up pretty quickly,and start producing well-lighted family photos with some work and practice.

Have you two ladies seen the degree of improvement SabrinaO has been able to achieve in her lighting? I've been impressed at how good her simple, straightforward child lighting setups are at kicking out pretty much SOOC images that are lighted RIGHT. They are not fancy, six- and seven-light setups with hairlight, rim light, accent light, and kicker light, in addition to main and fill and background, but the lighting setups she's been using are producing work that is about 10x better than other people working in her identical genre. So, you might feel like noobs, but SabrinaO's progress shows one can move up pretty quickly,and start producing well-lighted family photos with some work and practice.

YES, definitely, kudos to Sabrina. I have been following her work, she is getting better and better! :D I finally was able to purchase some Pocket Wizards so that I didn't have to be tethered to be AB - makes a huge difference. And while I love shooting with my AB, I am definitely aware that my composition still needs work.

Keep kicking butt, Sabrina!

I seem to notice a natural migration of FB photographers, they're bestbuy photographers 1st? If I recall a few have posted up on here about bestbuy allows credit, zero down, buy now pay later, etc?

1) purchase entry level DSLR, kit lens or maybe a prime, flash from the bestbuy store (bestbuy photographer)
3) charge people
Okay, one more sloppy answer like that and you're going to lose your posting privileges!! You forgot the most important step

2A) CREATE WATERMARK for pictures that no one in their right mind would steal anyway.

3) charge people
Okay, one more sloppy answer like that and you're going to lose your posting privileges!! You forgot the most important step

2A) CREATE WATERMARK for pictures that no one in their right mind would steal anyway.

iconhammer.gif

OMG yes I forgot "create HUGE watermark". Thank you for the correction and I apologize.

Imho, anyone could be a FB photographer (whether it's a good or bad thing)
For me a 'certified' 'FB photographer' ---
Knows her/his best angles.
Shots from above to capture her best 'assets'.

At the end of the day, a good FB photographer knows how to deliver, market, and flatter. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back