What is a great way to start off (model photography)?

danman281

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really want to get into model photography. I love seeing people's reaction when they see the results of a picture I took.
I have also seen some pictures online that just blow me away at what other people do. It's both very inspirational, but at the same time a bit discouraging because of how difficult it looks.

I have a strong will to learn but I don't know where to start. What are some good ways to start? What are your stories? Have you ever done a terrible photo shoot? Whats a good way to not get discouraged?

In no particular order: There is no way not get discouraged; it happens. You deal with it. Shake it off and get back behind the camera. I can guarentee you that everyone in here has had a bad shoot at some poin, again, it happens. Not everything canvas that Rembrandt painted was a winner. Sometimes you'll make a technical mistake, other times things just 'don't work' artisically. Look at the mistakes you made, learn from them, and get back to work.

When you look at those amazing photographs, remember that whever took them was once where you are. They had a camera, looked at a picture and said, "I want to do that!" It takes a lot of time, practice and experience to 'get it right'. Personally, after 25 years, I usually settle for, 'getting it okay'.

How to start: There's a ton of information on-line, your local library will likely have some good books (and it doesn't matter if they're older books; film/digital... photographic theory is photographic theory. One of the best things you can do is join a local camera club. You'll usually meet a whole range of people with skill levels that cover the entire spectrum. You'll also get to shoot with them, and get first-hand critique from the more experienced members. You need a good basic understanding of how your camera works, how the various settings affect each other and the final image, and a good basic understanding of lighting theory. Once you've got that - you're off to the races, it's just a matter of developing your artistic side.

Do you currently own a camera? What other sort(s) of photography interest you?

Last edited:
In no particular order: There is no way not get discouraged; it happens. You deal with it. Shake it off and get back behind the camera. I can guarantee you that everyone in here has had a bad shoot at some point, again, it happens. Not everything canvas that Rembrandt painted was a winner. Sometimes you'll make a technical mistake, other times things just 'don't work' artistically. Look at the mistakes you made, learn from them, and get back to work.

When you look at those amazing photographs, remember that whoever took them was once where you are. They had a camera, looked at a picture and said, "I want to do that!" It takes a lot of time, practice and experience to 'get it right'. Personally, after 25 years, I usually settle for, 'getting it okay'.

How to start: There's a ton of information on-line, your local library will likely have some good books (and it doesn't matter if they're older books; film/digital... photographic theory is photographic theory. One of the best things you can do is join a local camera club. You'll usually meet a whole range of people with skill levels that cover the entire spectrum. You'll also get to shoot with them, and get first-hand critique from the more experienced members. You need a good basic understanding of how your camera works, how the various settings affect each other and the final image, and a good basic understanding of lighting theory. Once you've got that - you're off to the races, it's just a matter of developing your artistic side.

Do you currently own a camera? What other sort(s) of photography interest you?

What do clubs usually do?
I own a Canon 40D, 28-135mm lens. I love all sorts of photography. What really got me into it first though was macro. I thought, and still think its one of the coolest things about taking pictures.

Start by learning about light. That and use your friends or make local contacts. Most glamour and fashion shots you see are going to look over the top because of the lighting. It's not all about strobes either. It's learning how to use ambient, artificial, and any other modified light source to create the visions you have in your head.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html
http://www.lighting-essentials.com

Cool links
Does strobes mean an external flash? I'm thinking about making a DIY diffuser for a flash.

get a few thigns going... a specific i dea of what you want. google photographers who achieve what you want and study, study, study what they do and what it is you want to achieve.

build a website just to hold a gallery of what you have so you can see what you've done and how far you need to go (there are free websites everywhere, freewebs or flickr off the top of my head)

practice on any willing people you have in your life.

come here for CC

practice practice practice ;)

I agree with the others, the best thing to do at this point, is to learn as much as you can. If shooting people/models is your focus, then after learning the basics of exposure, concentrate on lighting. I'd suggest going to a library and seeing what you can find. The basics of photography haven't changed much in the last 100 years, so you don't need to get the latest 'digital' books to find good info. Look for books on portrait or studio lighting. You could even do something as simple as using a mannequin head and a desk lamp to see the effects of moving a light around a model.

Also, part of being a good 'people' photographer is being comfortable and getting your model to be comfortable as well. Common sense would tell us that the more you do it, the better you will get...so practice with friends and family as much as you can. Have them be a model for you and concentrate on getting them to be relaxed and look natural.

I'm in no way a pro, just a baby in the realm of photography, but I think you've already got a plus in your direction, you know what it is you want to do with photography. I notice that there alot of people that want to be a photographer, but have no idea what they want to photograph.

Being a fellow noob, I have found it so amazingly helpful to post my stuff on here and accept the criticism as the spring board to reaching my goal.
I can't help you much with the technical stuff, as I'm only learning, but I can offer you some friendly advice.

1. There will always be moments you feel discouraged, that you feel like you're wasting your time, when you feel very inadequite. But that's life. One moment you're ready to give up, the next you snap something so amazing it even makes you smile. Never give up on trying to achieve what you want most.

2. It can be so intimidating posting your work on this site, I know, there are so many great talents on here it's really quite scary. But swallow your fear and post it, if something is wrong most people will tell you and tell you how to fix it next time or in post processing. Everyone (for the most part) that will give you advice won't mean it to hurt you, only help you.

3. As with any art, not everyone agrees on what is good and what isn't. Some people enjoy Monet, some people don't. Don't hang on every word with your life, it will only hinder your success as an artist in your own right. Do what you know is technically right, but don't mute your artisitic vision to please anyone else other than you and ,eventually, your client.

4. Have fun. I'm a big believer in not taking everything in life too seriously, you'll only stress yourself out and wear yourself down. One failed shoot doesn't mean the end, it just means you have to remember to fix what you missed last time. Laugh at your mistakes and try to not make them next time. It's really as simple as that.

5. Practice on your friends and family (as has already been said). They may act annoyed with you, but I'll be willing to bet they secretly love being flattered and will enjoy being a model for you.

6. And read, read, read, read. You can never learn too much. You have a never ending source of information in the internet, use it. Read your camera manual (even if you already know the basics) and really get familiar with your camera. There's alot to take in, so don't be put off because you don't get it all right away. There's no rush, take it all in your own way, do it in your own pace.

Good luck and happy shooting!!
Be sure to post your stuff so we can all see!

Most reactions

Back