What is happening?

UUilliam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
All my SD Cards worked fine only just about 2 weeks ago then last week my 16gb (17gb) was not being recognized so i had to format it
This week, my 8gb has dissappeared, i have searched everywhere...
My other 16 gb (15gb) has snapped (it was in my laptop...)
the only one i know where it is / Working is my 16 (17gb) that i had to format...
but my camera cant use it!!!
(maxed at 16 gb)
Is there perhaps a hack to up the total size the camera can accept?
Ill need to buy new sd cards on the 20th... (when i get paid.)
Meh my 17th is September 1st, Might tell my mum to forget the driving lessons and just buy me £300 worth of SD cards lol... (15x16gb=240GB memory lol.)
Not really btw... id rather a car over any camera equip right now(so i can travel to college and i can go out shooting more often.. .not much to shoot around here... not even in a Tourists mind set.)

Didn't you have another thread with memory card problems a while back?

What brand are they?

I never knew that cameras could have a cap on the capacity of memory card they can accept... That's weird (why would they do that?)...

the 16gb that snapped (it was the corner at the metal strips so the strips are all loose... but it is recognied for about 2 seconds then it doesnt work...) is a Kignston...

The Other 16GB that i had to format is unbranded although looks like a Transcend

The 8GB is a sandisk (no problems but its lost... i only ever sit my sd card in: My bad, My laptop or in a SD Card pouch and sometimes on my chair if im swapping sd cards allot...

Edit: you know when they say... You will find it in the last place you will look... (which is stating the obvious as once you find it your not gunna keep looking :p) but i found it in my printers SD card slot :/

Last edited:
I never knew that cameras could have a cap on the capacity of memory card they can accept... ...

All cameras have a maximum card capacity because all card formats have a maximum capacity.

SD cards are limited to 4gb. Thats why SD/HC cards came into existence. Cameras and readers designed from the original SD format can't read SD/HC cards although those designed for SD/HC can read the older SD. There is a newer even higher capacity SD format in the wings that we'll see soon.

Compact Flash, the granddaddy of them all, has a higher limit than any other of the "original" formats (SmartMedia, MemoryStick, MMC, SD, xD), but we will start to hit its limit in the not to distant future. Whether there's an "extended" version on the horizon, I don't know.

There have also been devices (cameras, ...) that ran into their own difficulties independently of the inherent limitation of the card format. Firmware limitations can prevent them from "counting" high enough to deal with overly large cards. I've heard of early cameras that came to grief with newer cards that were larger than originally expected. They would work fine at first, but when the number of frames got too large they would loose count (numeric overflow, ...) and trash the file system. More modern cameras work around such issues by creating additional folders when the number of images gets beyond some managable number.

There can also be issues formating large cards in older cameras (old = old enough that common cards have doubled in size since the camera's introduction). Sometimes formatting on a PC is a viable workaround provided the correct format (FAT, FAT32, ...) is chosen. Many cameras over a few years old only support FAT, which limits cards to 2gb even though the card design supports larger volumes. To format the larger volumes you must use FAT32 when those earlier cameras don't understand.

The 16bg card that will not format. Are you formatting it in your camera?

Older cameras did have a limit on card size. This was based on the file system used. If it was designed with FAT12 limit was 32MB (don't believe any camera had this, it was the original format based on floppy discs back in early 80's). FAT16 limit was 2GB unless it had 64k clusters then 4GB limit. FAT32 has a max of 2TB with 8TB if 32k clusters used.

My 8700 had a max card limit of 2gb. And I believe my D50 is 4gb. Higher than that not recognized.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back