Just going out on a limb here but some people are at times, cornered into being the wedding photographer. For example, my family wouldn't hesitate to ask me to shoot a family wedding even though they know that I am very much an amature. This would be an ackward position to be in. Of course I would try and back out of it but I'm sure that they would be extremely persistant (because they both believe in me and would want to give me the opportunity even though I wasn't ready for such a task). Having said that, I know my family well enough to know that they aren't stupid people. If they would ask an amature to photograph such a special day, then they would most certainly be ready and willing to receive poor photos. To some people, the quality simply doesn't matter. Sure, I would assume that would be the extreme minority but none-the-less...
Having said all of that, if I were pressured to shoot such a wedding, you can bet your last buck that I would be here and everywhere asking questions and doing as much learning as possible prior to the shoot. Would the pictures turn out? Probably not... Would I feel bad about it? Most certainly... Would my family be upset that their day wasn't captured with perfection? No...Absolutely not.
Sometimes, you simply get thrust into such a circumstance...In my case (I've told this story before), I was leaving to go to my sister-in-law's wedding and just before leaving I thought I would grab my camera to snap a few photos for myself. When I got there, the photographer they had hired had nothing more than a basic point and shoot with dead batteries. I was immediately THRUST into the position of "Photographer". I had nothing more than my E-300, 14-45mm kit lens and extremely limited knowledge. The entire ceremony was dark and the reception even darker. We did go to a location for some wedding photos (outside) but it was horribly cloudy and rainny off and on. I knew that I was in trouble so I shot as many frames as I could (nearly 1000 pictures). I salvaged what I could in Photoshop (even with my limited PS knowledge) and turned out a digital album for them (and a slide show DVD that I made with ProShow Gold). Not only were they happy to receive what I had, they refused to pay the original photographer as none of her photos turned out at all. Were my pictures good? No...I didn't think so. Was my sister-in-law happy? More than words can explain. Of course, they offered to pay me and I adamently refused!!
My $0.02
- Dan