Sinjans and especially stamp, I read this thread from top to bottom and till I read your posts I thought everybody would be agreeing with the OP for his post.
I read the post again and again and I really did not understand the point of it.
Why worried about this?
-Is it because pro photographers are losing business due to the kids with DSLRs in their hands stealing business from them?
If so, then let's not worry. This would not happen. If it does, then those loosing business to amateurs would not be pro photgraphers to begin with.
-Is it because newly wed couples feeling horrible after seeing those "what should have been" unforgettable memories were wasted?
If so, then let's not worry again. They should have been aware of the risks.
Why should people feel obligated that they should spend thousands of dollars so their wedding be photographed by pros? What if they don't have the money for it?
My best friend got married a few years ago in Europe and he did not have a budget to hire a photographer (neither a pro nor an amateur). He had to rely on the shots taken by the guests with simple P&S cameras. The result was very sad. There were not even a few good ones to put together a simple album. Now, if I had been there at the time(unfortunately I wasn't) I would have been his photographer (an amateur one), and he would have had some shots that he could have used in the future.
But wait a sec. per some, I am just not qualified to do it because I do not have enough experience and I maybe asking some basic questions.
Why would I not be able to do it? Even if I am getting some money for it, I can do it because I am not forcing the couple to be their photographer. They have the right to ask anyone to photograph their wedding; and I have the right to accept it or not.
But what I won't do is to take some other professionals' place by competing their prices. That, I would never do!..
Other than that, at any time if a friend (or friend of a friend) that cannot afford a pro photographer asked me to do their wedding and wanted to pay me a little for it, I would it. I would just be honest and upfront with them about my skills and if at the end, I(myself) don't like the result, I would not even charge a penny for what I have done.
And heck yeah, I would come here and ask bunch of questions too.
This is a free country. People can do whatever they want as long as they do not bother others/cause damages.
A guy who is holding a gun in his hand cannot act as a police officer because there are certain rules/conditions to be a police officer; you may hurt others. But any person who is holding a DSLR can act as a wedding photographer. He just won't be one just because he is acting so...