What is it with everyone thinking they are a wedding photographer???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done two weddings as gifts. One was with film, and it was an outdoor wedding. It was also done while all members of the party were mounted on mules.
They asked me to help out because I 'shoot' from my mule. I was scared crap-less and told them so.
I was terrified of screwing up their important day. Truly it nagged me all dang summer.

I had no desire to photograph people or make people pose with each other that dislike each other.

It is very stressful.
Ask yourself, what person would have lugged equipment two miles while mounted [on horse or mule] through rough terrain to take shots in the woods?

Seriously, the only access was by animal...

82982111_f330e1f31e_m.jpg

[don't I look terrified????]

I did another outdoor one for the other sister and only pray that I don't have to do the work yet again for the last sister.
It is fun, but I'd rather shoot trees, fungi, rocks...and animals.

Hate to ruffle any feathers, but this has been on my mind a lot in reading this forum.

If you hate to ruffle feathers, then don't post.

What is it that makes people think because they have a DSLR and have taken a few pictures that they are in any way qualified to try and capture what are some of the most important memories of two people's lives???

If I go to a friend or family members wedding, are you saying I'm not allowed to take my DSLR and take some pictures? Maybe I'm only allowed to take a P&S since I'm not getting paid?
:scratch:

Thank you for your contribution to the thread, but I think you need to read statements in context. Anyone can shoot at the wedding if they want I think that's a great idea....but they shouldn't be THE photographer. Read the thought behind the entire post before you pick out one statement and misconstrue it

-tim

After reading your first post, I asked myself, 'how does Tim from Mass. know that all these people are getting paid cash to shoot someone's wedding?'. Well, the truth is, you don't know. Just as in Olympus300's case... shooting a wedding for a favor. Also, just because someone says "my friend hired me to shoot their wedding", doesn't mean that it's necessarily cash that is being exchanged.

That being said, I concluded that since you didn't know the context of each situation that has your panties in a bunch, (you see how I used that context thing you were talking to me about? :mrgreen:) you must mean what you said in your first few sentences. Basically, anyone with a DSLR shouldn't be allowed to capture precious moments. I know that sounds ridiculous, but that's how I interpreted it from your text.

Also, who are you to decide when people with a camera should be able to go into business as an industry wide standard?? Sure, you can decide for yourself if you're hiring someone to do a job for you, but belly aching about the entire professional industry, and what should make them "professional" isn't you call.

Although you can complain and whine and cry about it on forums, but what good does it do? I'm just so sick of seeing so many judgmental people in life, and online hiding behind their computer screens. Just go out, shoot, and have fun and don't worry about the industry you're not even a part of! And if you have a question about your hobby, jump on here and ask! ;)

Just going out on a limb here but some people are at times, cornered into being the wedding photographer.

Totally agree! I'm sure that a lot of us on this forum have been asked this question. I am far from being a pro, and sometimes feel like a total hack, but that doesn't stop relatives from saying things like you should be a pro. I think that if asked to do a relatives wedding the best thing to do is decline, but maybe look at the pro they choose prior to them doing the final booking.

That is actually how I got started shooting weddings. Both my nieces got married in the same summer and they insisted I shoot their weddings.
The difference is I already had 5 years experience with nature photography and knew how to process photos so was able to turn out good photos....just wasn't used to working with people.
I did my first 6 weddings for free until I felt I was good enough to charge...then slowly raised my prices as my work improved.

Let's continue the discussion...

Portfolio
If I was to get a call from a client and asked for extensive portfolio, I would have nothing to show for. I'm a freelancer mainly for two studios. All the wedding stuff I do, stays in the studio, most of the gear that I take on the job is also studio's. So if I am being judged, I'd have nothing to show for.
Photographer that shot my wedding, I assisted the guy till his last job, (few months after which he passed away :( ) he was a freelancer for about 5-6 studios regularly and he him self had no portfolio to show of if asked.
So, as important as it is to look at someone's work, personally, it isn't the first thing I look at but rather engage in a discussion of photography and background, etc etc.

Favor.
We all done it. My wedding was shot for free, may he R.I.P., the only thing it cost me was expenses - assistant's salary and printing proofs. Albums I did separately so that was a different price quote.

Knowledge.

Contrary to few PMs I got and to number of rebukes I got, I'm just a 29y/o punk. I've only been in this industry on photo end of it for 10yrs. But I was lucky enough to learn first and foremost lighting. Try shooting a wedding indoors with a 220 film and no light source or only ambient light = wide open lens, slow shutter -> will look nice on portraits if done right but everything else will look like crap. Only after getting a hand on lighting, I got to play with actual 6x6 bronica box and even that wasn't as simple as it seems. #1, you only got 24frames on your roll, so you have to have second back ready to go. #2, loading and unloading film is EXTREMELY important, otherwise you'll loose EVERYTHING, it isn't like a 35mm chamber. #3 got to frame and compose your shots with printing format in mind (4x5, 4x6, 5x7, etc).

Wedding is a once in a life-time event, hopefully. And should be captured by someone who is specializing in it. There's nothing wrong to shoot it as a favor but there's something wrong if one is mainly shooting landscapes to shoot a wedding. I'm a wedding freak and the other day posted some jewelry attempts for CC and got my @$$ kicked on it. I'm glad it happened b/c its a way to learn but that's before I sign the contract/ accepted an assignment to shoot jewelry.
So knowledge and background, by far in my opinion is more important then portfolio and one can easily spot this by asking few technical questions that every photographer, especially wedding photographer knows. I don't mean formulas, b/c I hate them my self.

EDIT: After I wrote my essay, I saw this
That is actually how I got started shooting weddings. Both my nieces got married in the same summer and they insisted I shoot their weddings.
The difference is I already had 5 years experience with nature photography and knew how to process photos so was able to turn out good photos....just wasn't used to working with people.
I did my first 6 weddings for free until I felt I was good enough to charge...then slowly raised my prices as my work improved.
Shockey, you said it, you already had experience with photography. You already know that dragging shutter to 1/10sec w/o a tripod will LIKELY, produce blur effects or that shooting the whole wedding at 2.8 will mean soft images. Many folks, however, and I think that's where OP comes from, end up buying 2.8 lenses, shooting the whole job then coming on forums "what did I do wrong, why are my images out of focus, why aren't they sharp" meanwhile, client's memories are crappy while they did spend $ b/c he/she has to pay off the 2.8 glass. On another forum, I was replying to Q where a lady was trying to shoot a portrait with a 50 at 1.4 and couldn't figure out why standing 7-10 feet from her kids one in the middle was relatively sharp why her ears as well as sisters on L & R were blur. She later came back saying that clients are suing her and again she can't figure out why.

Last edited:
where's jerry when you need him.

oh he's no longer posting here. perhaps he stops by to read (hi jerry), but im quite sure he isnt posting. which is a shame because he is chock full of knowledge.

oh he's no longer posting here. perhaps he stops by to read (hi jerry), but im quite sure he isnt posting. which is a shame because he is chock full of knowledge.
There are number of members here who I believe are walking photo encyclopedias. It actually proves the point that can't know everything and once again allow, at least me, to go back to drawing board and see how I can improve.

Statement about base level persons with a camera shooting someones wedding is fair n legitimate.
I couldn't afford a photog when I got married so I asked s fee friends to bring their cameras. I wouldn't pay an amateur to learn his craft at my expense.
Though I did pay for film developing and batteries for my friends.
I cringe every time I read a 'i'm shooting a wedding tomorrow for pay, how do I ...? ' post.
It is a scary prospect!

In my opinion there is nothing wrong in learn how to shoot a wedding or ask about it but take your own risk, instead putting in risk other person wedding memories. I was part time portrait and sport photographer for schools, families and minor leagues.

In order to start with the wedding area first do the research google, books and inquire on forums. I could not find a photographer on the area who allow me to be he's aprentice so I rent a wedding dress and ask to one of my friends to be a model for me and practice practice and practice. Piece of advise for those who are asking.

First you need to bodies really that is not an option and I will tell more, try to get at least one camera with the capability of dual card Why because the Flash Cards get broke and I telling by experience and more important please do not agree with something that you never done before if you can not shoot with another photographer. Look for weddings seremoniess try to imitate the situations on your own house and rent a dress and start practicing

If someone wants to pay someone to shoot their wedding, knowing that the lack experience then that's their problem and they'll be the ones to look back later and think "Wow, I should have paid more for someone experienced."

I don't think that these people posting are eluding that they are "Wedding Photographers" or even think that they ARE wedding photographers. They are just ASKING what they would NEED to shoot a wedding.

If I want to change the oil in my car, and never have done it, but know that I need Oil but not what kind then I'm going to ask. While I'm asking, I might ask what other tools I'll need, filters, etc.

That's all they're doing. Is it scary that these people are shooting a once in a lifetime event and aren't experienced, yes! But it's scary for THEM, not the couple that has hired them knowing in advanced that they aren't pros because they are signing up for one big flaming ball of stress and being overworked and underpaid, or not paid at all.

So I say, if someone wants to hire someone to take their pictures and they know that they're not qualified, then that's their problem. Now, if they're misled, that's totally different! and THOSE are the a-holes that f it up for the rest of us, both pro and amateurs.

So if you want to shoot a wedding, and you've never shot one, Good luck!..... and make a very clear contract.

And as far as taking your business away, were you really going to shoot that wedding for 3-500 bucks? Nope, you wouldn't even get out of bed for that one. Maybe they should instead refer them to someone that HAS shot wedding, but then they're back because they're on a budget. So in the end, it's the consumer, if they only want to pay a certain price, that's all they're goign to pay. If they want better quality, they're going to find a way to up their budget by cutting back on something else.

What is really worrying is not just that totally inexperienced photographers are doing a very important job but the reaction on forums when they post results that are average at best everybody drools over them,I was less than complimentary about some shots on another forum and got totally slagged off.I used to do wedding photography but was not llowed to go solo until I had covered 10 weddings as a second shooter with my boss

And as far as taking your business away, were you really going to shoot that wedding for 3-500 bucks? Nope, you wouldn't even get out of bed for that one. Maybe they should instead refer them to someone that HAS shot wedding, but then they're back because they're on a budget. So in the end, it's the consumer, if they only want to pay a certain price, that's all they're goign to pay. If they want better quality, they're going to find a way to up their budget by cutting back on something else.
Would I shoot a wedding for $500? No; Would I call my assistant and hire him to shoot the job for that amount of $, just shoot - YES. He knows what to do and been doing this long enough... clients will get good results. It'll be a favor for my assistant while I won't many a penny on it. Clients will get up to $100 worth of 4x6 proofs. But again, I won't make a penny on it :)

My first marriage we hired a professional, and got pretty decent results. Paid through the roof, but they delivered for the most part.

My second marriage we got a friend of a friend who had done a few weddings, gave all the photos on CD and a little photo book was prepared for us by the time the reception started. The photos weren't the best, pretty dark really. All the moments were captured however and I had the ability to edit them and make them better.

Did we even think of suing? Heck no... I feel we got what we paid for, maybe even a little more.

Do I wish we had spent 1000's of dollars on a pro?

Nope.

There's a place for these people to shoot weddings... I know, I hired one. Do we regret it? Every now and then we wish we had a little more to show from the big day, but now that I know more about photography myself I may just dig out that CD (wherever it may be) and see what I can do with Lightroom. Now that I realize all the photos are simply unedited files out of the camera I think I can make them shine by adjusting the white balance and exposure.

Any way... Don't dwell on it, not everyone is out to get you - nor is everyone out to steal your job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back