What is that?

BeT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is not my photo. This is a photo taken way before digital cameras were even thought of, so I know it's not a weird photoshop thing. I was strolling through the Internet when I stumbled upon this website about these suitcases they found at an old asylum. They posted pictures from one the patient's photo album. They were pretty much your usual old photos (you know, kind of creepy) when I found this one:

I was wondering how a man's shadow was able to be in the photo. Actually, it rather looks too dark to be a shadow, but I know next to nothing about film so I don't want to say it's not.

Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum; however, I could not find an appropriate one, and as this photo is specifically film, I decided to put it here.

Link to website with photo

if the sun is behind him, the shadow can be in a shot.

Seems like the sun was behind him too, everyone's squinting and the shadows are all behind on the car. As for the darkness, I don't have a clue if and why it's "too" dark to you.

It's not that difficult to get a dark shadow of the photographer within the shot (film or digital) ... when it is right behind you.

You also have to consider the spectral sensitivity of the film and paper back in the old days, possibly orthochromatic film ... colours represent themselves differently from later panchromatic films.

Most reactions

Back