What is the weather in your neck of the woods!

My wife is from Canada and you would not believe how much she is complaining about the cold. "Yes honey, but it is a wet cold down here"

We're getting snow in Big Bear tonight and the temperature is suppose to be in the low teens. :eek:

My wife is from Canada and you would not believe how much she is complaining about the cold. "Yes honey, but it is a wet cold down here"

We're getting snow in Big Bear tonight and the temperature is suppose to be in the low teens. :eek:

Yikes! This was recently added to Netflix - or something like it. I actually watched for a few minutes and felt like I was getting warmer.

Hoping you have a real one :)

24° F and a Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 7 AM EST Tuesday.
  • A widespread snow will develop between 5 and 7 PM, and pick up in intensity later in the evening through shortly after midnight. Some sleet can be expected at times. A lighter Snow is expected late tonight which will continue into Tuesday morning.
  • The Heaviest snowfall rates will be between 9 PM this evening and 2 AM Tuesday. Snowfall rates in excess of an inch per hour is possible during this time.
  • Total snow accumulations of 3 to 7 inches, amounts increasing as you move north.
  • Look for significant reductions in visibility at times with falling snow, and blowing snow due to east winds gusting around 35 to 45 mph.
  • Plan on slippery road conditions. Precautionary/preparedness actions.

Any activities, chores etc. to be done outside; or are you prepared to just chill and stay indoors? I remember a very nice photo you posted a while back (I think it was a pier) where you mentioned how FREAKIN cold it was.

My only experience of living in that kind of weather was as a child growing up in Kansas City misery. Been in SoCal since age 9 so yes....I am a real big wuss!
I'm in for the duration of the storm. I already did what I needed to outside: A little work to button up my DIY carport a bit more, and went to the post office. I have plenty of food and jugs of water, flashlight, candles, etc.

If the power goes out and stays out long enough for it to get cold in here, I'll jump in the jeep and head to sister's house a couple miles away. They've got a wood-burner and plenty of wood there, so we'll be warm at least.

Depending on how it looks tomorrow, I may venture out to shoot some snowy scenery.

• A widespread snow will develop between 5 and 7 PM, and pick up in intensity later in the evening through shortly after midnight. Some sleet can be expected at times. A lighter Snow is expected late tonight which will continue into Tuesday morning.
  • The Heaviest snowfall rates will be between 9 PM this evening and 2 AM Tuesday. Snowfall rates in excess of an inch per hour is possible during this time.
  • Total snow accumulations of 3 to 7 inches, amounts increasing as you move north.
  • Look for significant reductions in visibility at times with falling snow, and blowing snow due to east winds gusting around 35 to 45 mph.
So how did things turn out in your neck of the woods? We missed the ice, but got a couple inches of sleet which turned to near concrete on the driveway this morning. Got to love winter.

So how did things turn out in your neck of the woods? We missed the ice, but got a couple inches of sleet which turned to near concrete on the driveway this morning. Got to love winter.
Not too bad at all here. Several inches of snow, with drifts up to a foot or more. No ice to speak of. Windy gusts for most of the night, and a few branches came down, but nothing too severe, and the power stayed on. I didn't bother to venture out (yet), and I likely won't unless I have to.

The system that walloped Texas and caused all kinds of grief going up the mid-west, passed over us a day or so ago. We were just north of the rain/snow line, so we started out with freezing rain, then snow, then ice pellets, then snow, then some more freezing rain. Accumulation as of yesterday was 39.2cm (16 inches), with some residual flurries continuing. Shoveled the driveway three times, then another time to open a path in the snowbank the city snowplow thoughtfully gifted us. Traffic was reasonably light the past two days, as many people sensibly took a snow-day holiday. Anyone who did NOT dig out their car during the storm (or shortly after) is looking at a major job as the cars parked along sidewalks get snow pushed against them both from the sidewalk cleaners, and from the road cleaners. Of course, the damn stuff then congeals into pretty solid snice (new word, so don't snigger), and requires a jackhammer to break apart, not a snow shovel. Winds were strong at the beginning of the storm but have died down since. Snow crews are on the job all day yesterday and today, up to 7pm, then continuing on Saturday. Temperatures are moving back up the the freezing point, so we may see still another round of freezing rain.

The storm caused all kinds of grief on the transportation network, with many flights in the North-east cancelled or delayed. The local news had stories from people losing anywhere from 8 hours to 24 hours or more, waiting for rerouting and rebooking. Of course a little schadenfrende was in evidence as many of the people discomfited were frying to sunny and warm places. So, winter is officially back to our region. Time to get the skiis out and see if the wax is still good.

Sunny, but -3C which is pretty frigid for around here. There's snow at higher elevations, so I might take the camera and new tripod out for a spin this afternoon.

Sunny, 35 degrees, pale blue skies, headed for a high of 40. It froze last night for the first time in about a month, having dipped to only 30 degrees last night. Dry, no rain in sight for days, east winds coming out of the mountain west.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back