What Is This Lens?

Fleetwood271

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was shooting a football game for a friend today and a pro photographer was on the field with this camera and lens. I know the camera was a Canon 40D. Can someone tell me what lens this is?

DSC_7399.jpg

Just curious what she was using to shoot the game.

Thanks!

I don't know what lens it is, but it looks to be a zoom that changes it's physical size when zoomed. (the front of the lens moves out as you zoom). This isn't uncommon, but most top level lenses don't do this...at least not any more. Some of the older ones did.
So I'd guess that it's either a mid-level (not pro) lens or it's an older model.
It also looks to have a small focusing ring, which is often something found on cheaper lenses.

I was thinking that maybe it's a Sigma or Tamron 70-200mm lens...but maybe it's one of the many 70-300mm lenses. :scratch:

It's not a canon. At least not a current canon lens. If you look at the focus ring you can see the detail. Canon has fine pattern on grip. Like 1mm recessed Then 1mm raised. The zoom ring in the photo has a few inches between the grip lines (if that makes sense)

The 40D isn't a pro camera body.

The 'pro' also wasn't using a lens hood, or a strap. Both decidedly not-pro decisions.

The size of the front element of the lens speaks to an also not-pro f/3.5-5.6 variable maximum lens aperture.

Anyone else notice that it looks like a decent looking chick, but the left arm looks very hairy and manly??? Am I crazy, or.....? uhh...

I just checked my lenses for comparison and to take a guess at it I'd say Tamron 28-105mm f/2.8 constant aperture. When extended out, the body looks about the same, plus the gold ring around the end of the lens. Definetly looks like a tamron lens

Anyone else notice that it looks like a decent looking chick, but the left arm looks very hairy and manly??? Am I crazy, or.....? uhh...
lol she looks pretty oldish, jeans make her look younger but thats not the case -.-

I was thinking the same thing :mrgreen: I guess the jeans hold it all together.

I'd say Tamron 28-105mm f/2.8 constant aperture. When extended out, the body looks about the same, plus the gold ring around the end of the lens.

I also think it's the Tamron 28-105 f2.8.

Having had a look at some pics it does look like the Tamron - the zoom grip on the lens looks very similar to the Tamron design (so if not the 28-105 another Tamron lens) and the front element looks about the right shape. Certainly looks far too wide for an f4-5.6 zoom lens.

The 'pro' also wasn't using a lens hood, or a strap. Both decidedly not-pro decisions.

I know quite a few pros that don't use straps ;)
Besides many pros I've seen don't have lenscaps and its a miracle if they have the rear caps for lenses as well ;) Though I do agree its more unusual to see anyone using a lens without the hood attached.

Nothin' wrong with older women........ especially when the 'older' is still younger than yourself. :biggrin:

Most reactions

Back