What's new

What is this??

BuS_RiDeR

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Oct 29, 2009
Messages
2,355
Reaction score
83
Location
Riverview, New Brunswick, Canada.
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I saw this interesting piece of farm equipment in a field as I was driving today.... But I am a city boy... Anyone know what this "thing" is/does???

farm-equip.jpg
 
Last edited:
Looks like a rake. Like it would be towed behind a tractor or a mule or whatever to pick up dead grass, hay..

I know as much about farming as you though, just a guess.
 
Looks like a rake. Like it would be towed behind a tractor or a mule or whatever to pick up dead grass, hay..

I know as much about farming as you though, just a guess.


Paul you are correct! It is an old rake for raking hay. It was pulled by a team or horses or mules.
 
More specifically, that is a dump rake. It's quite an old machine, of a style that has long since been abandoned. The metal seats on those rakes as well as on old tractors of that era and the following era, are amazingly comfortable. The dump rake was popular from the mid-1850's to about the end of the 1890's, when the much more-efficient,easier-to-use side-delivery rake was invented. That dump rake in the photo is probably over 100 years old.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom