What is white balance and how to use it?

billsphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just started learning about photography. Need some help on some white balance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curious: if you dont know what white balance is, how do you know you need help on some?

You're camera may have the ability for you to modify WB in camera and save it as a new photo, and view the changes on screen.

You may want to read up on your camera's ability in this regards.

I first started learning about WB whilst playing with my camera in the bathroom. The white tub etc was off white in a few test shots. I learned how to take a photo and change it in camera, then I learned more about the WB different lighting situations, and custom WB.

I say read your manual a bit, then play with your camera. You have to learn to understand your camera features then you'll be able to understand WB better.

curious: if you dont know what white balance is, how do you know you need help on some?

per my above example of taking photos in the bathroom,
I noticed my White tub & bathroom were precariously yellowish .... thus I started learning why ...
probably the same thing the OP is now exploring.

I bought a house built in the 80s, so my tub & bathroom ARE precariously yellowish.

I bought a house built in the 80s, so my tub & bathroom ARE precariously yellowish.
lol
well adjust your WB to make them white .. at least in photos
:thumbup:

What camera do you have? On my D7000 in Live View, I can change Wb and see the change on the screen before I take photo. I am a visual person, so seeing helped me understand better.
You are posting under 'Websites' so you may want to post any new questions under 'Basic' or 'Beginner' category so the right people see your question. You will find a lot of great help here, welcome.
Nancy

I find changing white balance really helpful but often get the wrong setting under fluroescent light indoors - one setting will work in one place then move a few metres away and its totally wrong. I've tried setting the white balance by getting my camera to read it from a white piece of paper but find that often this can result in the worst white balance in a photo. Any tips guidance gratefully received as it frustrates the hell out of me.

if you shoot raw you can just leave it on auto and adjust in post, thats what i do. The events i have shoot required running in and out of diffrent light situations and would take too long to keep setting.
but if you are set in one place then you can set it to save time in post later.

I find changing white balance really helpful but often get the wrong setting under fluroescent light indoors - one setting will work in one place then move a few metres away and its totally wrong. I've tried setting the white balance by getting my camera to read it from a white piece of paper but find that often this can result in the worst white balance in a photo. Any tips guidance gratefully received as it frustrates the hell out of me.

The white piece of paper isn't helpful. If you're going to set white balance with a measurement target the target has to be spectrally neutral. Either purchase a proper white balance target or use white Styrofoam. A nice size flat piece of white Styrofoam can be cut from a grocery store salad bar container.

Difficult conditions do occur and there's no real easy solution. Fluorescent lights are often in mixed lighting conditions -- difficult. Often there are windows in a room that is lit with fluorescent lights. I have fluorescent light right now in the room I'm in as well as a large window at the opposite end of the room -- as I move across the room toward the window, the light color changes in the mix.

Normally we have the convenient case of being able to measure and set WB for an overriding circumstance so we can set it and then shoot away. When that's not the case and the circumstance won't permit taking the time to measure a target then the best option is to post process the raw capture.

Joe

White balance is directly related to the temperature. When temperature is cool i.e. if the atmosphere around u gives a cool effect then adjust your camera to warmer tone and if its warmer in nature … then u can cool it down with the help of WHITE BALANCE…
There are many different white balance control options available (depends what your camera is providing u). U can use the option auto white balance but I would suggest u to manually set that as it’s a camera n can’t match to human eye perfection ….

White balance is directly related to the temperature. When temperature is cool i.e. if the atmosphere around u gives a cool effect then adjust your camera to warmer tone and if its warmer in nature … then u can cool it down with the help of WHITE BALANCE…
Uh, no! Color temperature doesn't have anything to do with ambient temperature. If that were true then the sun would be blue all the time since it's surrounded by super-cold space. Or it would be blue on cold days and red on hot days, which it obviously isn't. It is the frequency of the light and how our eyes perceive that frequency.

Personally I seldom change my cameras from auto-WB unless there is a specific need to do so. Auto-WB works very well the majority of the time so I seldom concern myself with it.

Last edited:
There are many different white balance control options available (depends what your camera is providing u). U can use the option auto white balance but I would suggest u to manually set that as it’s a camera n can’t match to human eye perfection ….

lol.

Most reactions

Back