What is wrong with my Canon XS!!?

bp4life71

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My camera will not shoot its usual 3-5 fps. I've looked through my settings and see no reason why it shouldn't. I have it set on continuous shooting and ai servo. I have always had it shoot fine at 3-5 fps. It is taking like 3 seconds in between shots and I don't know why. I thought maybe my camera is faulting so I put it on the "sports" preset and it rapid fires like it should. What am I missing guys? Never had a problem before this.

maybe you are on AV mode with low iso in the dark?

Not in low light or av. Like I said, shoots fast on the auto sports setting, I then set to tv and shoots super slow. No idea. Thanks for the suggestion, but that won't be it. Any other ideas?

I tried from 80-250. On the auto sports setting its at 320 and works.

No. It's set to "m" only. Shoots fine in auto. I'm clueless.

RESET to factory setting.. try again.

Don't know if Canon is like Nikon or not but I've had similar situations when I forget to turn shutter delay off. It provides a delay between the mirror flipping up and the shutter opening to allow vibrations to dampen.

Did the reset through the menu system, still shooting slow. Is there another factory reset?

Set the exposure mode to "M"anual. Set shutter speed to 1/500. Verify that you are shooting only jpg and not raw. Use the single shot focus, not servo. Hold down shutter. Is it still slow?

I set to manual, shutter to 1/500, jog mode and NOT raw, one shot ai.......hold shutter and 3seconds between shots. Turn dial to auto sports and it fires away 3-5 fps. Lost.

Is it possible that you are in continuous shooting but not high speed continuous?

There is no such thing on the xs that I'm aware of. There is just the one shot, continuous, then timed modes.

I set to manual, shutter to 1/500, jog mode and NOT raw, one shot ai.......hold shutter and 3seconds between shots. Turn dial to auto sports and it fires away 3-5 fps. Lost.

PUT IT IN CONTINUOUS FOCUS. It's probably not locking focus after the first shot, so it's not allowing the shutter to trip. Switching to continuos servo AF may fix your issue.

Most reactions

Back