What is your position in Photography?

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
We often speak of how to make it in photography. I think we neglect to realize that there is a niche for everyone in this amazing world. Where are you at professionally in terms of making money and clients? Let us discuss our views of the part time photographer and the full time photographer. More importantly let's discuss the difference between 200 dollars for a senior portrait or 3000 dollars.

Personally photography is my life. Not a side job. I think it is toy if you only shoot part time to "fund your hobby". Soon I will be leaving photography in Jackson. I will for the first time in 12 years be in a very competitive market. Not like I'm scared, but I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Love & Bass

Not sure what you mean.

I shoot purely as a hobby. I live a competitive life as a financier, and in comparison photography is a low-pressure, just-for-fun dalliance - along with this forum, which I ruthlessly use as a procrastination opportunity.

Right, back to an email I don't want to be writing right now...

When photography became "work", I stepped away from it. Today I make money, that and a pension are my income. When it becomes work again, I'll step away again. Right now I shoot what and when I want. As long as I can do that, I'll stay busy enough to stay active in it. I started shooting for money almost 39 years ago. I think I just might keep a camera close by for a while yet.

That's kind of an interesting question but I'm not quite sure of the true question. But I'll tell you what I think it means to me personally:

I am ruthlessly perusing this "photo thing" as a full time profession in that I tend to find myself promoting that more than my other profession as a home remodeling contractor. Although I haven't suffered financially for it yet, I can see where this is becoming something that I need to pay attention to. If I lose track of the "urgent" (maintaining the carpentry work clients I have) and "important" (making sure I have active bids for future work and a full calendar of that work), I'd loose out on the freedom to peruse my photography passion.

That all being said; I am getting busier and busier in the photography world. I have 2 weddings booked this year already (keep in mind that these are not something I do on any regular basis) and I have a gig as the corporate photographer for an organization that involves me shooting 10 hours a month (only 10 due to budget restrictions = non profit org.) and my seniors, portraits and model market is about to crack wide open. I am also contracted with a children's beauty pageant in May to do all of their portraits and head shots (50 kids involved there @ $'s per setting). So my little part time thing might just go full time within 2 years.

I am pushing this really hard mainly because I have loved this profession since I was a kid. In looking back, I should have gained a formal education that involved photography without learning from the school of life. But I can't sit around anymore watching a dream of mine go. I want this badly and I am going for it.

My position started off in photography and progressed to multi-media as in shows, productions, audio, script writing, television, film, graphics, animation, logos, and multimedia presentations in more than one language.
For example, I have shot television in Ukranian and edited and helped rewrite a script in Portugese and then recorded it for a voice over. I have presented mostly in French, although occasionally in English.

skieur

My seat-back is in the upright position and I am preparing for takeoff.

My seat-back is in the upright position and I am preparing for takeoff.

Some might say that you have been "up there" or "out of this world" for a long time already. :):) What makes you think you need to "takeoff"? :):)

(Just being facetious, by the way. This site needs your style, wit, and intelligence.)

skieur

Some might say that you have been "up there" or "out of this world" for a long time already. :):) What makes you think you need to "takeoff"? :):)

(Just being facetious, by the way. This site needs your style, wit, and intelligence.)

skieur

I will agree with you skieur, but MAX, if you've got your ears on, small doses please. :lol:

has-been

Former news photog from Los Angeles ... love the feel of a dSLR ... the sound of the shutter releasing ... the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

Gary

I shot a lot of tri-x years ago as a hobby, having gotten my interest for photography from my mother.

Now, I am shooting pixels for mostly the same reason, but also to share with others the experiences that I face in my profession so that others may learn from either my successes or failures.

Having been around aviation and pilots for the last decade or so, I heard an old adage that was often repeated around small airports...."I love flying too much to make a living from it." I guess one could say that the same could be said for photography.

To me, photography is, and always has been a personal endeavor, freely letting others see what I see. I know that I will never have the skill or aptitude for composition and light and all the other things that make for great photography like a great master, but still can have something to "say."

However, if one can make serious bank from doing just that....power to them.

Just my $0.02 worth

I notice sort of a dissent towards people that make money off of photography. I understand the concept that when something becomes "work" it becomes less fun, but to me it gives me the opportunity to do something I love AND make some money to support the habit. I have a great day job too, but I love my photography weekends. I spread myself thin also being a freelance writer, and I enjoy the speed of how quickly photography can pay off... compared to writing.

Anyway that's just me!

I like to take pics for myself,to relax, if id taken it as a profession I'd have had my current profession as my hobby :D

I would call myself an enthusiastic amateur hobbiest. I mean I don't sell my stuff, but it has its place on many walls. I have had it framed, and had it compared to some pretty amazing photo's, which while flattering is a little overwhelming. I take pictures for fun, to capture a moment, and sometimes to make art. I like to shoot with a DSLR, and I also get great shots using P/S pocket cams. I feel fortunate to be financially able to afford some of these toys, but for me, that is really all they are... toys. I like to shoot ice hockey, equine sports, landscapes, and cars.

Most reactions

Back