What is your thing?

Tangentabacus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
To me there is one thing that differentiates a photographer from a person who takes pictures. It's your thing. Wether it's landscapes, wild life, portraits, or whatever. Photographers have a thing.

How do you find your thing? Is it a matter of passion? Talent? How can you tell if you've found your thing but just can't see that yet?

This is part of why I joined this forum. I want feedback and critique to figure out what my capabilities and limitations are. To figure out what I need to improve or change.

I want to know what is your thing, and how did you know it was your thing? Also I'll link my Flickr page; I'd love some feedback on my pictures thus far and maybe some of you can poke an idea at what my thing is. And, maybe I can get some good advice or critique in the process (although, any advice or critique is good imho).

Flickr: LevelOnePhoto's Photostream

THANKS!!

I love photographing nature and landscapes.

But ask around, I don't know how to do my "thing".

Are you really going to start this on a different thread, Kevin? You can whine about it, or you can take criticism and move on and better yourself. Your choice.

KevinPutman said:

^^^ :roll:

My "thing" is music... however I'm slowly expanding into other areas of interest.

But my #1 love will always be musicians. :biggrin:

Are you really going to start this on a different thread, Kevin? You can whine about it, or you can take criticism and move on and better yourself. Your choice.

I simply stated I don't know how to do my "thing".
Not starting anything.

Whoa. Fancy way to start a thread!

I gotta say. I started this thread because I wanted to see what people had to say about it. Not to have anyone tell me what I'm goot at. I just want to hear the journey others have taken to get to the conclusion of what type of photographer they are. I also understand there's a vast quantity of photographers who have not figured out what they are good at or what they like.

Whoa. Fancy way to start a thread!

I gotta say. I started this thread because I wanted to see what people had to say about it. Not to have anyone tell me what I'm goot at. I just want to hear the journey others have taken to get to the conclusion of what type of photographer they are. I also understand there's a vast quantity of photographers who have not figured out what they are good at or what they like.

I enjoy the outdoors. Going through woods, walking by creeks, being at the lake, etc.
I just find it relaxing and enjoyable.

I consider myself to be more of a scenic/landscape photographer than anything. Part of that comes from my love of the outdoors (I've been off-roading on ATV's since I could reach the shifter) as well as being located where I am. However, the "niche" that I would eventually like to be known for is long-exposure night photography. I tagged along on a trip with a friend once to see what it was like, and I've been hooked ever since.

I haven't found my niche. Right now I'm just photographing whatever interests me at the moment. I worry I'll never find 'my thing!' :meh:

Oooh! Self deprecation is the new black!

I haven't found my niche. Right now I'm just photographing whatever interests me at the moment. I worry I'll never find 'my thing!' :meh:
You will. Don't worry. When you find it, you'll know it too!

I was told by teachers I was "born a painter"...nah, notsomuch.:lol:

I have two 'things':

DSC_3489a.jpg

DSC_8426.jpg

I have so many things in life that I would have to say life is my thing. I enjoy it while it lasts and shoot what I like, but lately that hasn’t been so much. Life keeps getting in the way.

Most reactions

Back