What kind of hawk?

Mully

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.robertmulliganphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This landed in my pasture looking to snag one of the chickens.... what kind is he?

$Hawk-14-Edit-Edit.jpg

Looks like a coopers hawk.

Nice picture of the bird too - though I'd probably crop some of the right of the photo so that you've less dead space on that side of the photo (we tend to look for the eyes of the subject and also follow their direction of vision which makes us look left; leaving nothing on the right side to draw or contribute to the photo).

I would say it is either a Cooper's hawk or a Swainson's Hawk. They both are fairly close to each other but I am leaning more towards the Cooper's hawk like the above post. :)
Nice shot!

"Mmmmmmmmm, dem chickenses looks mighty good to meeeeeeeee!!!!"

A coopers hawk is also refered to as a chicken hawk.

Thanks guys .... over the summer I herd a strange bird call that almost sounded like a tropical bird. After investigation the Cooper hawk I found the sound it makes as a distress call and that is the bird I could not figure out..... maybe I will get some more shots tomorrow when i let them out ....or the bird will try for lunch

I would agree with EricD, Red Shouldered. It looks too stout for a Cooper's and the eye looks more brown than red...

I had less than a minute to put on a lens and shoot it out the door.... it stayed for about 6 frames then was gone, shot in auto (which I rarely do) and the image has some aberration I need to fix.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back