What kind of memory card do you use on your dslr?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a SanDisk 32gig sd card with 30mb/s for read and 10mb/s for write. I was happy with this card until I just bought another SanDisk 64gig with 80mb/s for read and 60mb/s for write. I am amazed with the speed, and it is extremely fast. I noticed SanDisk has several models with far higher read/write transfer rates.

Just curious, what about yours? What brand is it, how fast, and how many gig?

lol I've added many more since this photo. I've stopped using Lexar as I've had two crap out on me. The transcends I use for video.
$cards.jpeg

Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 mbs read/write speed - I have two, a 64 gb in my primary camera and a 16 gb in the backup body, I'm planning on getting another 64 mb for the second camera and putting the 16 gb back on "reserve" so I'll have it on those few occasions where I need a little more than 64 gb in a single day.

I use SanDisk almost exclusively. I've tried Transcend, Kingston and a few others, but always come back to the SanDisk brand.

However, within the SanDisk cards, I'd always just used whatever I could get for a good price. I just didn't believe it really made any difference. I had regular SanDisk, Ultras, Class 4, Class 6, whatever…I just didn't care.

About a month ago, I decided to try an Extreme Pro (95mbs read/write speed), just because some respected TPFers kept going on about it. "Meh," I said to myself, "it cannot possibly really matter all that much."

After one week with that card, I was convinced. I will only buy the Extreme Pro cards from now on. I'd been having some issues with slow buffer speed, and thought it was just a limitation of my camera. I'd also been having some problems with cards simply not seeming to function in the camera. They'd work for a few shots, then I'd have to remove them and re-insert them to make them work again. Frustrating when you're trying to capture bird images.
I've not had one single problem since getting the Extreme Pro card. Which reminds me, I really need to order two more cards… :D

San Disk Extreme Pro only

I use a sandisk SDHC 16GB class 10 and a transcend 4GB class 4 (the free one) as back up.

Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 mbs read/write speed - I have two, a 64 gb in my primary camera and a 16 gb in the backup body, I'm planning on getting another 64 mb for the second camera and putting the 16 gb back on "reserve" so I'll have it on those few occasions where I need a little more than 64 gb in a single day.
That's some amount of shooting in one day, wow

I like SanDisk Extreme CF cards. Over the years, they have gotten higher in capacity, first I bought Sandisk 1-gig cards, then 2-gig size, then I went to 8-gig cards. I later added a couple 4-gig cards, so I can have a CF card that fits PERFECTLY on a DVD disc with all the raws + a full set of preview JPEG files for slide-show or quick contact sheet creation.

My first big storage cards were a pair of IBM Microdrives...one cost me $400, discounted, about 13 years ago when I bought my first digital camera, a used Nikon D1. BOTH of those tiny IBM hard drives eventually crapped out! I ususually shoot with a pair of 8-gig cards, one in each slot. I have not moved to the newer, 16- to 64-gig CF cards yet. I'm good with 8's and 4's.

When I shoot sports or fashion show, 32g is not enough for me. That is a reason I purchased 64g with higher transfer rate.

When I shoot sports or fashion show, 32g is not enough for me. That is a reason I purchased 64g with higher transfer rate.

I can usually get by pretty well on the 64 gig card since I download everything as soon as I get home and reformat the card, it's pretty rare that I'll take enough pictures in one day to fill the entire 64 gig. I had the 16 gig for backup just in case I did go over, I started using it in my 2nd camera when I bought it - so I'd like to get a dedicated card for the second camera and then be able to use the 16 for a backup card in case it's needed for a little exra shooting.

I purchase exclusively SanDisk CF cards, specifically Extreme or Extreme Pro. They are the only cards that I have never had a single read error, corruption, or other issue with.

A 16g card can record slightly over 500 .NEFs from a D600, this I know firsthand. So 64g should be capable of storing 2,000 frames. And that's .NEFs, not .JPEGs.

Most reactions

Back