What kind of money can you make being a photographer?

The best advice I have ever received is 'DON'T DO IT FOR THE MONEY'.

Seriously, ask yourself if you want to be a business person, or a photographer? Very few people have both skills at a high enough level to make it successfully financially. Unfortunately, your skill as a sales person and business person is far more important than your skill as a photographer.

I have given up all commercial work. I make very little money these days, but I'm getting much more pleasure out of photography, art and life than I have ever before.

Warning: semi-long story coming up.

When I was 16 years old, I was visiting Florida. We had our trailer, car, dog, etc... with us. One day, this $250,000 motorhome rolls into the spot beside my mine (just to set
the date, we're talking 1976. 250Gs was a lot back then...lol).

We owned a doberman, as a coincidence, so did the owner of the motorhome. I started talking with the guy and he invited me in for a drink, so I did and we chatted a while.

Eventually, the topic of his wealth came into the discussion, and he was quite open and honest that he was a multi-millionaire. Of course, being 16, I asked how he got there.

Well I bet you are all wondering a little too, and here is what he said, near word for word...

"Son, I'm not going to tell you how I did it, but can tell you how YOU can do it"... well my ears perked higher than our dobes... lol

"well, the secret is very easy...every person has one talent that sets them aside and above everyone else. Some people find that talent at 10, others at 100, but when they do find it, and learn to EXPLOIT it, two things happens. The first thing is that you become very happy. You are happy becuase you are never at work, even when working... you are always having fun. The second thing is that money stops being an issue... and the bigger issue becomes what to do with the money you are making!"

Well I kinda thought about it a moment, all impressed, and put that info away for a couple of years.

Know what? He was right.

Now if photography is your talent, and you have a talent that sets you above and beyond everyone else, go for it.

Jerry and Lost make a very important point!
There is no point spending every day between 20(ish) and 65 working and getting a high salery if you hate every single day of it - because when you retire at 65 chances are your all burnt out of energy and can't enjoy the things you want to as much (if at all).
Better to earn less and enjoy every (well most) days of work :)

The best advice I have ever received is 'DON'T DO IT FOR THE MONEY'.

Very few businesses require that you have the skills of a:
- business consultant
- customer service expert
- computer applications expert
- accountant
- paralegal
- web design expert
- psychologist
- expert photographer
- the odd mind reading ability now and then

- many more that I cannot think of now

... all at once in this business. I firmly do believe that it takes STRONG business knowledge or experience to make your business survive and grow in the photography field today. Without it your business with either plod along (if you are lucky), or just fail.

The same could be said of many businesses, but photography seems to amplify many aspects outside taking good pictures a lot more.

What Jerry said is right... but you also have to be realistic. Some "unique" talents are not as marketable as others.... Right off the bat, when I hear someone ask "How much can I make doing [insert hobby or activity here]", the first thing thought that comes to mind is the individual is starting off on the wrong foot. There is a difference between being successful at a career of choice and obtaining financial wealth. A BIG difference.

I've met (and been inspired) by those that have very little in the bank but are enjoying life to the full.

One of my best childhood friends tried to follow the footsteps of his family and enter into the medical field. It had prestige and a career that provided potential for wealth. He was miserable trying for it. Once he discovered his true path (teaching) and pursued it, things in his life went a drastic turn. He admits that he will probably never make as much as his siblings and it took a while to come to terms with that fact. In the end, he is probably one of the "wealthiest" people I know....

Another individual I crossed paths with was big time nyc lawyer who let me rent a room out of his cottage (small, modest) at a ski resort. He left everything behind to become a ski instructor.... the environment and the people in the room just seem to light up when he shows up. His good demeanor is contagious.

In those two cases, wealth is defined in other terms... not material. I continuously remind people that the "success" of an indivdual should not be based on the person's car or bank account. All that means is that their "talent" is more marketable in our unfair world.

Sorry if I sound pessimistic (my friends make fun of me because of it) but I've crossed paths with others that also have similar stories and I am approaching a similar point in my life. I just have to conjure up the courage to make a change... or just make the current work better. In either case, the OP is young... take the risks NOW. Once you have a mortgage, kids, and wife that depends on you, often the choice is made for you regardless.

usayit echos my sentiments 10000000000000%!!

When I was working for someone making $250,000, I was working 20 hour days, 7 days a week. I was tired, ill and constantly burnt out.

This company was the main reason I struck out on my own. First thing I did was take 3 months off to physically recover, and 3 months to restructure my work carreer. Best 6 months of my life and I was never happier that fierst year and making $10Gs that first year over making $250Gs and killing myself. Within 6 months, I was happy, healthy and LIVED life for me and my family. Yes I make more than that now, but that lesson of placing life and family before work is my mantra to this day.

I'd rather live as a happy pauper than the richest and most miserable lifeless man on the planet any day.

usayit echos my sentiments 10000000000000%!!

When I was working for someone making $250,000, I was working 20 hour days, 7 days a week. I was tired, ill and constantly burnt out.

Sounds exactly like a repeat movie of my life at this moment.. hehehe lol..

I joke with my friends that I am in a state where maturity/wisdom that comes with age is at balance with the immaturity of what's left of my youth.

They usually respond with "you talk too much.. just admit it and call it mid-life-crisis".

For now, I managed to work my schedule to stack hours into single days... so I now work only 5 days but they are long....

The days when you notice "usayit" not logged into the TPF are the good ones.... he's out shootin (with family) instead of being stuck behind computers.

Photography isn't known for being lucrative... Here's a link: US Occupational Outlook Handbook.

There are a lot more poor, or part time, photographers than there are truly successful ones. It can be done. You can earn a good living. But, it's not the norm...

It's like most other professions involving freelance work. You can make no money or you can make millions.

Warning: semi-long story coming up.

When I was 16 years old, I was visiting Florida. We had our trailer, car, dog, etc... with us. One day, this $250,000 motorhome rolls into the spot beside my mine (just to set
the date, we're talking 1976. 250Gs was a lot back then...lol).

We owned a doberman, as a coincidence, so did the owner of the motorhome. I started talking with the guy and he invited me in for a drink, so I did and we chatted a while.

Eventually, the topic of his wealth came into the discussion, and he was quite open and honest that he was a multi-millionaire. Of course, being 16, I asked how he got there.

Well I bet you are all wondering a little too, and here is what he said, near word for word...

"Son, I'm not going to tell you how I did it, but can tell you how YOU can do it"... well my ears perked higher than our dobes... lol

"well, the secret is very easy...every person has one talent that sets them aside and above everyone else. Some people find that talent at 10, others at 100, but when they do find it, and learn to EXPLOIT it, two things happens. The first thing is that you become very happy. You are happy becuase you are never at work, even when working... you are always having fun. The second thing is that money stops being an issue... and the bigger issue becomes what to do with the money you are making!"

Well I kinda thought about it a moment, all impressed, and put that info away for a couple of years.

Know what? He was right.

Now if photography is your talent, and you have a talent that sets you above and beyond everyone else, go for it.
Thank you JerryPH for the message from the guy with the RV. I am at a point in my life of making some business decisions about what I want to do, in particular concerning photography, and that information was very insightful. Thanks for sharing.

I never mentioned who that man was... I found out on our last day there before we left to return back to Canada. He was the then president of Mercury Marine. Multi-millionaire was the tip of the ice-burg... lol!

I really want to be a professional photographer when I get older, I will try to major in college for it (I am 16).
I was just wondering, what is the income for the average photographer? I need to know if it will be good enough to make a living off of haha. I don't know much about it yet, but I know I like to take pictures of things (nature, abstract art, etc.) Thanks. :hug::.

Sorry if I sound like a noob.

Nature work doesn't pay a lot unless you can get on staff with a major company that does things - I dunno, National Geographic comes to mind for me...

But depending on what kind of photographer, and how you run your business (if you are in business for yourself), the variables in income is great.

I can honestly say as a portrait photographer, my profit (i.e., after expenses, etc.) yearly is well into six figures. I've almost topped last years' income right now, and we aren't even halfway through the year (yes, I am sick about what my tax burden will be though in comparison to last's... *sigh*)

But it's not about "I got a camera, I wanna make some money"... it's about the business end.

If you think you will ever become a photographer, business classes and learning all about business management is ESSENTIAL to run a succesful business (moreso than the photography itself in most cases).... but is general enough to apply to other areas as well... I always think if there is even a mere chance someone may eventually get into business for themselves, it would pay off to even minor in business management in college...

But I do know that my business is one of the few that has survived through "startup"... it's something like 95% of all small businesses fail.... so it's not easy, and I hear that the average photographer only makes about $35,000/year....

But it's not about "I got a camera, I wanna make some money"... it's about the business end.

If you think you will ever become a photographer, business classes and learning all about business management is ESSENTIAL to run a succesful business (moreso than the photography itself in most cases).... but is general enough to apply to other areas as well... I always think if there is even a mere chance someone may eventually get into business for themselves, it would pay off to even minor in business management in college...

But I do know that my business is one of the few that has survived through "startup"... it's something like 95% of all small businesses fail.... so it's not easy, and I hear that the average photographer only makes about $35,000/year....

Which means, of course, that for every $100,000+ photographer like you, there is somebody else making zero.

But Jodie, you're absolutely correct... although you're an amazing photographer, you're financially successful because you approach photography not just as an artist, but as a smart businesswoman.

But generally speaking, the most successful photographers (moneywise) are not always the best technicians. More often than not they're just better marketers than everybody else.

Of course, the other approach is to get a regular job in which you are paid for something else and turn it into a photography or public relations position. It is really not that difficult if you have the skills and make the company or organization aware of them. Salary range is $60 to 90K, with a university education. Work on the side that comes in from your on the job photography can push it over 100K and it is easier than trying to start your own business.

skieur

Most reactions

Back