What lens do I need for this

chaimdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is my first post here, seems like a great community.

I really enjoy photography, I know the basics (shutter, aperture, DOF etc...) I currently own a Nikon D70 with the included kit lens (I think it's 28-70 might be wrong though)...

Anyway, my wife is expecting and I really want to be able to capture some nice pics of our baby. I've been seeing some real nice pics of various photographers of close ups of baby feet (or in some cases the feet are in focuse and the rest of the body isn't) other nice pics of the face with shallow depth of field... etc...

I wanted some suggestions on a lens I might need to take such shots. (I'm guessing I'll prob need a fast lens 1.8 or 1.4?!?! not sure what mm though)

Also wondering if it might be an idea to get some type of light I can setup to use instead of flash...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Chaim

D70 comes with a 18-70.

About focus.
Longer focal = Less DOF
Bigger "f" = Less DOF

For portraits long focals are better, since you're going to have less DOF and you're baby is going to be the point of attention, and not what's in the background.

You can use any light, if you shoot RAW, then you can rise or lower the light's temperature.
You can use White Balance if you're shooting JPEG.

You can get a 50mm F1.8 for a good price, it will allow you to get a nice shallow DOF.

With a wide aperture (like F1.8) you can often shoot without flash, although you might have to turn up the ISO.

Thanks guys for your replies.

Skylined, you're right I do have the 18-70... If I already have that one, will a 50mm 1.8 be much better? or should I be looking at something else? Also ios there a big difference between the 1.4 and the 1.8? is it worth the money difference?

I'm guessing that aperture has more to do with DOF than focal length (unless really big) correct me if I'm wrong please.

You are correct, the main control of DOF is done with the aperture. Focal length does have an affect...but not as much as aperture.

I'm not too sure about Nikon, but there are a few differences between the Canon 50mm F1.8 & F1.4 First is price, the F1.4 is three or four times as much. The build quality is much better on the F1.4. It's one stop faster...that may be worth it for some, but not for others.

Either of the 50mm lenses will probably be better than your kit lens...or most any zoom lens. Prime (non zoom) lenses are often very good optically. That combined with a wide maximum aperture makes them great lenses to have.

Get the f1.8, it loads cheaper and the effect gained for the money spent for the 1.4 will be minimal. Plus, and I could be completetly wrong here, isn't the difference between 1.4 and 1.8 only half a stop?

Telephoto lenses are also reccomended for portraits because they 'compress perspective' which is supposed to be more flattering for subjects, but babies look cute no matter what, so you'll be alright there!

isn't the difference between 1.4 and 1.8 only half a stop

Oops, I goofed when I said it was a whole stop. I think F1.4 is a stop more than F2...but not F1.8

Most reactions

Back