What lens for air show

PeterGC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I'm an amateur photographer trying to find my feet in this chosen hobby of mine. I shoot anything I can until I find a preferred subject type. So please be gentle.
I'm off to the Bournemouth air show at the end of this month. I went last year armed with my Lumix g2 and a 100 - 300 mm lens. I managed to get some nice shots but I would like to get in a little closer.
I have since upgraded to a DSLR Canon 60d I have the canon 75-300mm ef usm 3 f4-5.6 but i feel that may not give the results I'm after. I would like to hire a lens to take with me but can any one recommend.
Thanks for reading :)

One way to determine what focal length you need/want is to use a calculator such as here (http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/calc.htm) - scroll down to the dimensional field of view calculator, and decide at what distance you will typically be shooting. Plugging in the focal length will tell you how wide your field of view will be. For instance, a 300mm lens on a Canon crop body (1.6x focal length multiplier), focused on an object 5,000 ft. away, with have a horizontal field of view of about 375 feet. If your target object is about 100 ft. long, the object will occupy about a quarter of the frame. A 400mm lens would have a field of view of about 280 feet.

Thanks very much I will take a look after work with a cup of tea .

I like a 70-200 and long prime (400, 500mm) for air-show work, but a LOT depends on how close you can get to the action. This and this image were both shot with a 70-300 on a DX sensor, so if you can get reasonably close, it might just do you fine.

I like a 70-200 and long prime (400, 500mm) for air-show work, but a LOT depends on how close you can get to the action. This and this image were both shot with a 70-300 on a DX sensor, so if you can get reasonably close, it might just do you fine.

How close were you to these shots. The aircraft I will be shooting are going to be over the sea anything between 1000 to 7000 ft away, I think!

600mm lens costs helluva lot. I think the cheapest longest (decent IQ) lens is sigma 150-500

I was just looking to rent one for the weekend. Rental for under 5 days is less than £100.00.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back