What lens for shooting the Patriot's Victory Parade?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Taking my daughter to the parade tomorrow. Weather could be wet so I'm not planning on changing lenses at all. I'd like to be able to get a few close ups of the team but also some crowd shots so I guess that means a zoom? That leaves me with either the Sigma 17-70 or the Tamron 70-1300. Or I could forego those and bring one of the primes and just see what I can get with that... other options are listed in my signature.

I don't really shoot this type of stuff so any advice would be appreciated as to what lens to bring and also any tips for keeping things dry when out of my bag (which is waterproof).

Taking my daughter to the parade tomorrow. Weather could be wet so I'm not planning on changing lenses at all. I'd like to be able to get a few close ups of the team but also some crowd shots so I guess that means a zoom? That leaves me with either the Sigma 17-70 or the Tamron 70-1300. Or I could forego those and bring one of the primes and just see what I can get with that... other options are listed in my signature.

I don't really shoot this type of stuff so any advice would be appreciated as to what lens to bring and also any tips for keeping things dry when out of my bag (which is waterproof).
I vote for the Tamron 70-1300 personally. Just curious are you beta testing that lens for Tamron? How do I get to be a lens tester for them???:biggrin-93:

Oh way to ruin it. Had no idea who won the game. Now I won't watch the game

21st Century.jpg

Start by getting a couple of packages of camera condoms (available and pretty much any brick & mortar store). If you're only shooting with a single body, I'd go with the 70-300 (unless you really have the 70-1300, then use that). I tend to shoot stuff like this in aperture priority, and single-point AF.

I'd probably go with the 17-70. You can always crop later, but you can't make up for a missed wide shot.

Thanks for the advice (both sincere and sarcastic).

I'll leave the typo for your collective amusement.

The 70-1300. In a pinch, plastic bag with rubber bands work. Take a small towel in your bag or in another plastic bag to wipe the camera down in case of extreme and unwarranted wetness. A poncho or oversized raincoat that can accommodate you and your camera.

Last edited:
The 70-1300. In a pinch, plastic bag with rubber bands work. Take a small towel in your bag or in another plastic bag to wipe the camera down in case of extreme and unwarranted wetness. A poncho or oversized raincoat that can accommodate you and your camera.

I might have to break out the Disney poncho.

Wait, wait, hold on a second wait, what you talkin' bout? The FALCONS won the Super Bowl!!! A buddy of mine from Atlanta texted me like 10 times last night about 5:30 West coast time and told me his " Birds" had won it going away! better check yer facts!!:1398::1398::1398::1398:

70-300 will be perfect. Small trash bag and rubber band

Super Bowl 49 parade
SNO_1416-L.jpg

But since she has the 70-1300 lens she will probable need a Hefty Bag.

I wouldn't know what to use, Lions never been there in my lifetime....:madass:

Most reactions

Back