WHAT LENS FOR STUDIO SHOTS?

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm doing another studio workshop, where they have models and such, it is in a studio with lighting, we each get a flash trigger...

There is a section for natural window light, as well this time there will be outdoor shots as well

I have a 35mm, my 18-55, and 50-200.

I have a D3000, so not very professional equipment at all.

I got some good pictures last time, but I would like to see about renting a lens for this coming up shoot and wonder which one I should choose?

Thanks in advance!

This sessions theme will be 40s pin up girls!

try a prime lens with a very wide aperture. if youre using a canon theres 50mm f1.8 II which produces very sharp images at a very cheap price. or you could invest into a tamron 17-50 / 28-75. heard its pretty sharp

You don't need a wide aperture for studio work. I don't know about Nikon but I know with Canon the 135L,85L and 70-200 get lots of work for portraiture. The 70-200 is more for outdoors while something like the 85mm range would be better for inside. OF course, depending on what you're doing there is always the fisheye.....;)

For the purposes of the workshop, I don't think you will really need another lens. I'm guessing that it will be OK for you to shoot at F8, so any lens will be OK.
And when I think of 40's style pin up girls, I don't really envision shallow DOF....and that's another reason why shooting at F8 should be OK.

Lighting makes an image, not the lens...so concentrate on that.

Studio portraiture is typically done at middle apertures so you don't need fast glass, but the fast glass usually has the better optics.

Your D3000 is more than capable and the strobed light will negate a need for using a high ISO.

Studio shooting requires more than 1 lens.

You would want one lens for head and shoulder shots and a differnt lens for full body shots.

If you are only going to rent 1 lens I would recommend getting:
LensRentals.com - Rent a Nikon 85mm f/1.8D

The 85mm f/1.4 is even better but it won't AF on your D3000.

^^ What Big Mike said. Just use the kit lens.

If you want to rent one, maybe those 2x-7x/8xmm f/2.8 lens

Most reactions

Back