What lens should I get next?

Audible_Chocolate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D7000. I have a 35mm 1.8g lens. I am looking for the best all around lens (tight on cash). I'm thinking about just going with the 18-200mm nikkor vr ii. I want the best bang for the buck. Something good for night photography as well. Thanks in advance ;)

Thats a very good question, but with out a little more info it can be difficult to make a good recommendation. You gotta ask yourself what do want out of this lens? What do you plan on shooting? What do you enjoy shooting?
Most photogs are gonna have different definitions of what they consider "best all around". Ex: Due to my personal experience, i am hopelessly addicted to prime lenses, so IMO the 35mm f/1.8 that you have is already an awesome 'all around' lens because its fast, sharp and versatile. Of course you're not gonna be able zoom and to do a lot of nature shooting with it, but is nature shooting even something you want to do. See what i mean?
Now, you mentioned that you're thinkin about the 18-200 VR II so you may have already answered your own question. The 18-200mm is a fantastic walk around lens and prolly the closest to what some consider a 'can-all, do-all' lens... BUT the f/3.5-5.6 max aperture is going to have its limitations compared to something faster. But since you already have a prime in your bag, that zoom would be an excellent addition. So if thats the case, then there ya go! Id also consider the Nikkor 16-85VR. Doesnt quite have the reach of the 18-200VR, but its a couple hundred bucks less, has a quality build construction and im told it produces sharper images then the 18-200. And believe it or not the $250 Nikkor 55-200VR is actually a great lens as well! Sure its not as fast and it has a plastic mount, but it really does produce clear and sharp images! True story!

So really, i think you're on the right track. If at all possible, rent the 18-200 first and see if you like it before you pull the trigger on one!

Just my 2 cents

There is no ONE Lens for nighttime photography ...well except the Nikon 58mm f/1.2 Noct-Nikkor

Other than that, your lenses are what you make of it. Some love the 18-200, some absolutely hate it.

There's no such thing as a good "all around lens."

How about a tamron 28-75mm f2.8? it covers the most useful focal ranges but is still nice f2.8 glass.

maybe a sigma 18-250mm? seems to have good reviews. Im looking for a good all around telephoto.

heh go tamron 18-270,

yeah that'll cover it all at a tamron price =)

My vote is still with the 35mm f/1.8

My vote is still with the 35mm f/1.8

for the money its a great lens but I sold mine due to the chromatic aberrations. I shoot a lot at night which compounded the problem for me. The Sigma 50mm 1.4 replaced it and seems to be doing better for me as far as CA

How about an older lens? A Tamron 28-105 f2.8? [Which you can find used for $300 or so?] [Probably find one on ebay or here Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras every so often.]

I'm not vouching for its IQ, but I've got one that I used to use on my old Nikon D70s, and I found the extra reach compared to my Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 a lot more fun, useful and made it my favourite lens to just walk around with.

I like it so much that even though I can't use it (with autofocus on my Nikon D5100) I'm hanging on to it for when I eventually get another Nikon with a built-in autofocus motor.

Now its a big lens, relatively speaking, compared to the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 and it will make the 35mm f1.8 look like a lens cap <grin>, but its cheap, a not bad walk around lens, and because its a constant f2.8 its not bad in low light. And its just so big it looks so impressive. <grin>

Here's a link to a desc. and pict. [ Tamron SP AF 28-105 F2.8 LD Aspherical IF  lens for Sony Alpha - Minolta camera mount ]

Just a thought . . .

If you want to go the consumer lens route!

The 18-55 VR and 70-300 VR will serve you much better, the 18-55 is a very good lens that costs next to nothing..yes it has trashy build quality. But this combo has superior IQ. I have both and they both create great images on a budget price.

Any superzoom lens is a collection of stacked design compromises that are necessary to achieve an 11x+ zoom range.

They are all - jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none lenses.

If convenience and not having multiple lenses is more important to to you than image quality, they fit the bill.

Worse than that, a SuperZoom is a crutch that will let you get various focal lengths without really thinking and forcing your mind to find the best image given the lens you are using. A superzoom more often than not ends up hampering the growth of the photography in the field of excellence.

I'm here to talk more about philosophy and the mindset of photography. Do smack me if I start to get specific about gear.

I have a Nikon D7000. I have a 35mm 1.8g lens. I am looking for the best all around lens (tight on cash). I'm thinking about just going with the 18-200mm nikkor vr ii. I want the best bang for the buck. Something good for night photography as well. Thanks in advance ;)

by the way , i love ur work :) on flicker

Most reactions

Back