what lens should I get? sigma 10-20 or sony 11-18

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by tranceplant, Apr 24, 2008.

1. rubbertree

rubbertree TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just got the Sigma and LOVE it! I did a lot of research on it before hand and it got excellent reviews. I know nothing about the sony though.
    HSM means hyper sonic motor. Super fast. :D

2. tranceplant

tranceplant TPF Noob!

wow thx guys.... you guys rock :)

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd go for the sigma, I owned the Tamron/Sony 11-18 for about 3 days.

Used it on my D70 and it was probably one of the worst photographic purchases i've ever made. It was just soft, and the images out of it were ugly. Absolutely no detail in the corners, and the CA's and Distortions only made things worse.

If it was sharp, i might have kept it, but the Sigma is cheaper and 100% better. Also look into the Sigma 12-24. I bought speedlights instead, and since I can use them off camera wirelessly, it fast became a no-brainer what was more useful.

4. jasonkt

jasonkt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I trust B&H too, a lot of pros in new york get their gear from them. Visiting the store is like going to the wal-mart of photography! The place is huge, and they are known for using a maze of conveyor belts right above your head to move your purchases from the departments you bought them to the front door (security reasons as well as fun to watch).

5. tranceplant

tranceplant TPF Noob!

wal-mart of photography. LOL I don't know if that is a good thing or not, because I refuse to buy anything at wal-mart. They represent everything I hate in a corporation.

On a side note I have bought the sigma 10-20mm and I don't regret it. Thx Sw1tchFX for your input. I was disappointed with my a tamron I have bought before so I don't think I will ever buy their product again.

I got it for 650$ CDN including tax and a UV filter. I could have gotten a best price on the Internet but The 50$ extra is worth it.

6. JRob

JRob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Sorry if im jacking the thread but will that sigma work on full frame cameras?