what lens to photograph birds?

qwertyjjj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a 70-300m, which seems fine to take photos of big animals at a distance but with birds, it is just too small most of the time.
Here is an example of a bird just a few metres away with the telephoto lens on full at 300mm:

$img5876oi.jpg

Last edited:
It ain't the lens it's how close you can get. There is no lens long enough for birds, it's up to you to get close enough and that takes a lot of patience and practice. Birds are normally small targets and even with a relatively long lens (I use a 500mm) at moderate distances they are STILL small targets.

Like Scott ^ said! The longest lens you can afford, and good stalking skills. Or setup a blind....

Yup, SCraig is correct ... it's about knowing the target, and being able to be one step ahead to get as close as possible.
Most of the time you can't just walk up to a bird and snap a shot.
Hunters stalk prey, and so do photographers.

500mm fixed focal length (and higher) is a common size for most serious wildlife photographers, but many are not able to afford quality lenses of this size.
High quality teleconverters can also be used ... though in conjunction with a high quality lens ... better to get a larger focal length lens.

I use a Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO (a little short for small birds) with a matching Sigma 1.4x ... but Blacksheep uses a Tamron 200-500mm LD.
I would like a Minolta 600mm f/4 APO G, but it costs $$$ and very large/heavy.

Last edited:
Like everyone else is saying. Stalking is so important and knowing and understanding birds. I have a Tamron 200-500 and I only shoot at 500, I actually have a camo wrap keeping it at that length. You can look through my photostream in my signature for examples.. What body are you shooting?

As everyone else has said, rather than which lens, it's about being a skilled hunter to get close. Lure them in, use bait like seed or fruit or whatever the species of bird you want to shoot likes, use bird calls from your smart phone or a portable CD player or iPod or MP3 player, set up a baited area, use a blind, set up on a tripod and shoot remotely, etc...

This was shot with a 50mm f/1.8:
Blue_Jay_3431.jpg

This was shot with a 100-400 f/4.5-f/5.6 @ 400mm f/5.6:
Northern_Flicker_2835.jpg

This was shot with a 500mm f/4.5:
Eastern_Bluebird_0061.jpg

I've got to chime in and second Coastal! That open yellow wing shot is fantastic Buck!

You can even get good shots with any lens, if you can get close enough. I did these by sitting in reeds.. and waiting for the birds to come to me. (Shot at 200mm) (Oh.. and I used flash for fill... see the highlights in the eyes?)

Red Winged Blackbird by CGipson Photography, on Flickr

Sparrow by CGipson Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
buckster i see you said about calling birds with your phone. i have not tried that yet but was recently reading about it and wondered if it really works. also wondering if people are against doing that. does it mess up the bird or not really

This is by no means an excellent bird shot, but just to reiterate:

Duck by theofficialtevo, on Flickr

It's not so much the lens (although it is helpful) as it is getting close enough. I hid from these ducks for at least and hour and crept up very slowly before I was close enough to get any kind of shot (I had an 80-200)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back