What lens would you take?

crickett16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am taking a trip to Amsterdam this weekend. I would prefer to take one, maybe two, lenses with me. I need something that is going to be versitile. Not only will I be taking pictures around the city but I also plan on taking pictures of the flowers at the gardens since it's tulip time in the Netherlands.
This is going to be my first time taking travel pictures with my SLR so I thought I would ask for the wisdom of the group.

These are the lenses that I have:
50mm 1.8
18-55mm
28-90mm
75-300mm

I am also planning a trip to Italy this summer and want to buy a better lens for travel photography since I will be doing a lot of traveling around Europe over the next year. What would your suggestion be for the best lens to get? My pricing is flexible but I want the best lens at the best value. I would prefer to stay around the $500 range if at all possible. I have a Canon XTi.

TIA for you suggestion.

Definitely at least take the 50mm 1.8 IMO. Get a lot of night shots of Amsterdam life(minimal flash required).

I managed to get the 50mm, 18-55mm, and 70-300mm in my bag all at once.

You gotta be able to get something for 500 bucks. What kind of lens are you looking for? Below is a lens that another member recommended.

Canon 70-200 f/4L = $400-$500 used

Are you planning to carry more than one lens with you during the trip? Or you just want to carry one or two lens with you.

If you do not want to carry all of them with you, you may need to find one that cover the widest range with the best quality and price.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I kind of like this one

Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS

Review:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=332&sort=7&cat=37&page=1
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Sigma-18-200mm-f35-63-DC-OS-1

And I am planning to get that as well. Yes, I need to save up some money for that. Of course, it cannot be compared with the L lens, but for the price, I think it is pretty good. You can find more reviews on Amazon as well. And over there, you will also find some pictures taken with that lens as well.

We both have the XTi, and because of the crop factor, so it will behave as 28.8-320mm in our camera. Not bad as a all around lens especially it has the Sigma version of Optical Stabilizer (OS) and people reported that it works pretty well. As for the price range. It is well below $500. So far, I found it is $410 in us1photo.com and $449 in Adorama. Someone here in the forum said he got it for less than $400 :confused: even.

Of course, if someone think there is another lens that is much better than this one for around the same price, please let me know ...:D as I have not get this one yet, so I can still change my mind.

So with the 50mm and this one, your travel gears maybe lighter.

And don't just take my words for it cause I am still learning. I am sure when the pro wake up, they will give you more idea.

Edit: oh .... maybe I still have not wake up yet, I just noticed that you did mention you want to travel with one or two lens... hahahaaha

Thanks for the info. I have a Crumpler bag that actually will fit everything but it's just too heavy to lug around on foot for 2 days staight. I was able to work everything into my backpack where I think the 50mm, 18-55 mm and 75-300 mm lens will be okay and that should cover just about anything I should come accross.

I am still trying to determine what the best 1 lens would be to take with me in the future. Would a wide angle lens serve me better with cityscape and landscape photos?

For around $500 ... I would go with 17-40 f/4L (used) or 70-200 f/4L

I use the 17-40 as walk-around lens ... probably not what Canon intended, but it works for me. I switch to 70-200 if I need more distance, but most time will have feet do zoom ... lens swapping is a pain :(

Are you planning to carry more than one lens with you during the trip? Or you just want to carry one or two lens with you.

If you do not want to carry all of them with you, you may need to find one that cover the widest range with the best quality and price.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I kind of like this one

Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS
Only buy a lens like this if you more concerned with portability than image quality.

Only buy a lens like this if you more concerned with portability than image quality.
I disagree. I own this lens and I have gotten some great shots with it. Granted it is not "L" quality, but for the price, the quality is excellent and it is hard to get a more versatile lens in this price range. It is hands down better than the kit lens that come with the camera.

I paid $410 for mine at US1Photo. Hard to go wrong at that price.

Well, I could be wrong. But would you recommend a lens for the original poster for $500 range? :hail:

I am still learning so please correct me I am wrong. I do not mind because I can learn more from mistakes :)

As for this situation, since the original poster mentioned he like to get one more lens for the trip for around $500. When I looked at the lens he listed, he got a pretty good selection for the range. (Of course, I do not know about the image quality of his lens as I have not do any research on them yet). So If he only want to take 2 lens with him (as he mentioned), I will say bring the 50mm f1.8 for sure. What about the 2nd one?

If he do not want to buy another one, then I will say 18-55mm or 28-90mm. But if he want to get one that can cover a better range, 18-200mm seems to be pretty good. I read a lot of reviews on that lens and it got a pretty good review. As least for that price range.

But then again, I do not own that lens so all the information I got is from other owners and reviewers.

hum ... you know, I guess the logic here may sounds okay for a beginner. But as for the pro .. let me guess, you may prefer just bring all of them this time and save the $500 for a much better lens later.

Seriously, beside Dave, any other people know more about that Sigma lens (sorry for a little bit off topic), or recommend a better all around lens for about the same price? Thanks!

hum ... you know, I guess the logic here may sounds okay for a beginner. But as for the pro .. let me guess, you may prefer just bring all of them this time and save the $500 for a much better lens later.

When I travel I bring what I have I am no too overly concerned about weight. When I used to shoot film I would take my Bronica Etrsi on backpacking trips with me. I guess that makes me different from alot of people. Also, as far as "that" lens any lens with that kind of range is going to have image quality issues it is unavoidable. If the Nikon VR version has them a Sigma is going to (and that info was gotten from every review of "that" lens.

There are lots of reviews out there on this lens, just google Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS, spend an hour reading and make your own decision.

Most reactions

Back