Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KillerWolf172

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am taking my Nikon D5300 to Peru along with various lens hoods.
I was wondering whether I could get away with bringing just an 18-55mm lens or would I need my 70-300mm lens also? I am going to places such as Machu Piccu, Ollyiantambo, Pisac, Cusco, Moray, Lima, Huacachina, and Paracas.

Thanks.

Depending one's mode of travel, I'd probably take both and a wide angle as well. And a speedlight.

For me it be both, but if your trekking a lot. This is definitely a case where I'd like an fz1000

I am taking my Nikon D5300 to Peru along with various lens hoods.
I was wondering whether I could get away with bringing just an 18-55mm lens or would I need my 70-300mm lens also? I am going to places such as Machu Piccu, Ollyiantambo, Pisac, Cusco, Moray, Lima, Huacachina, and Paracas.

Thanks.
If you are taking various lens hoods then I would take various lenses to go with them. Lens hoods are designed for specific lenses. Besides variety is the spice of life. I would take both lenses you have. The flash is a good idea, if you either know how to use it or have time to learn the basics. Have a fun trip.

Yep, definitely bring both.

Might be going later this year. Figured I'd just take a 20mm f/4, 50mm f/1.2 & 105 f/2.5 combo. On Fx of course.

Might be going later this year. Figured I'd just take a 20mm f/4, 50mm f/1.2 & 105 f/2.5 combo. On Fx of course.

Yeah...a 20mm is a very wide wide-angle on FX. 50mm is pretty normalish; the 105mm f/2.5 is a legendary Nikkor lens. I'd realllllllly want a 28mm to go with that set though, or a 35mm; the 20mm has a LOT of wide-angle corner distortion, so many architectural shots woulkd show very obvious, substantial "corner wonkiness"-which the 28mm woulkd minimize, and the 35mm would almost totally eliminate.

For a D5300 shooter I can not imagine traveling/voyaging ANYWHERE of importance with ONLY the stock 18-55mm lens! C****t on a Bike, take the 70-300mm lens too!!!

I've been through most of Peru with my 18-70mm, 70-300mm, and 35mm on the DX body. That kit fits in half of a small backpack. I would not take only the 18-55mm. On hikes at the higher elevations at the places around Cusco I would just take one lens, unless you currently live at 8000'. Lima down to Ica is desert, the longer lens will help if you want any shots of the villages along the way as you may not be stopping at any of them. Out in the sand dunes you probably don't want to be changing lenses so pick one and stick with it through that part of the day.

Just be warned that between the food and the Pisco it is easy to forget to take pictures. :)

I was in Peru last August...Lima, Cusco, Pisac, Ollyiantambo, and of course Machu Picchu. Didn't make it to the rainforest. Let me offer some equipment advice and then some Peru advice.

Your 18-55 will be inadequate. Lots of hummingbirds in Agua Caliente and Cusco...you'll want a 200mm or 300mm to get a decent shot of them. Likewise, there will be stone details you want to capture but you can't get close enough with your feet. Lots of beautiful orchids you might want to do macro shots of. Or the terraces will be on the other side of the valley. Or the llama is 50 feet from the fence and you want a closeup of his whiskers. So you'll want a 200mm lens or longer. And there will be so many low light settings or narrow streets where you'll want a wide angle. So in an ideal world, you'd have a wide angle lens that is f1.8 (like the nifty Nikon 35mm f1.8). And you'd have a longer zoom (say 70-200mm or 300mm).

Next point: bring rain gear for Machu Picchu. It will be foggy, it will likely drizzle. If you don't have a rain sleeve than bring zip lock bags that can handle your camera with a zoom attached. Absolutely bring a couple of microfibre cloths. Expect a lot of dynamic range (dark shadow and bright light) in the same setting so practice dealing with that (in terms of white balance, managing the contrast, capturing the details rather than having pitch-black shadows and blown-out highlights.

Okay....other advice for Peru: the food is amazing. Peru has the rep of the most progressive and innovative cuisine in all of Central and South America...you'll especially see this in Lima. If you're taking the bus from Agua Caliente to Machu Picchu, expect to wait a long time in line for the bus. Yes, you can climb up but don't expect to see the sunrise--it's rare, usually very foggy/misty at sunrise. Cusco is very under-rated...lots of cool history there.

Most reactions

Back