What Makes One lens Mount Better Than Another?

Enem178

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kwaltonphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've heard and read from a couple different sources that canon has one of the best lens mounts. What makes the canon design better than nikon, pentax, sony etc?? Is it because one is stronger than the other? If so which manufacturer has the least desirable design?

I've heard and read from a couple different sources that canon has one of the best lens mounts. What makes the canon design better than nikon, pentax, sony etc?? Is it because one is stronger than the other? If so which manufacturer has the least desirable design?

I've never heard that, but I'll be interested in hearing a response from someone who knows. I've never heard of a lens mount on a Nikon getting broken or even damaged/loose, so I don't know how one could be better than another.

I know that one of the advantages of nikons are they haven't changed the mount design so you are able to use nikon lenses that are many decades old. Here's something I copied from Ken's web site....

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To Canon's credit, the new EOS system is a better design than the old Nikon mount"

[/FONT]

I don't think there is a "better" lens mount design.. at least not proven in real world use.

The Canon breech mount could be considered a design with a unique advantage over the more common bayonet style. The surfaces that come into contact (lens to camera flange) do not rotate. It is subject to less wear and tear as well as being a lot more precise.

Other than that.... some lens mounts provide backwards compatibility which itself has pros/cons.

Last edited:
yeah in 20 years I've never once heard anything about the mount being a factor in lens quality .. I wouldnt put too much thought into that one ... how many lens elements, the quality of the glass, how fast is the lens, how smooth does it focus .. is it a sharp lens, soft lens .. those are the things I'm concerned with.

Just guessing, but could one lens mount make it easier to change lenses than others? For example, maybe a particular kind would be more likely to bind up in some way? Or one was just quicker to get on and off in fast-paced situations?

I've got no experience with that, so I'm just talking out of my backside...

I've read this is more than one place. One site said that canon can use other manufacturers lenses (with an adapter of course) while others can not use canon. Maybe that's why they say canon's mount system is better . I dont Know???

I don't think there is a "better" lens mount design.. at least not proven in real world use.

The Canon breech mount could be considered a design with a unique advantage over the more common bayonet style. The surfaces that come into contact (lens to camera flange) do not rotate. It is subject to less wear and tear as well as being a lot more precise.

Other than that.... some lens mounts provide backwards compatibility which itself has pros/cons.

So essentially you are saying although there are no winners, that Canon is the best?

I find it odd how you forgot to mention that the smooth rotating bayonet style of Nikon inspires confidence in the shooter. This results in superior attention to detail and image composition.;)

So essentially you are saying although there are no winners, that Canon is the best?

Obviously not since the the FD breech style mount is no longer used by any currently manufactured Canon camera. :er:

I find it odd how you forgot to mention that the smooth rotating bayonet style of Nikon inspires confidence in the shooter. This results in superior attention to detail and image composition.;)

I find it odd that I mention Canon having a unique advantage in their design of breech mount lenses and someone is still compelled to counter with a sentence stating "Nikon".

and no... I didn't mention it because practically everyone uses a bayonet style of mount with rotating surfaces. Not really unique is it? Nothing to do with Nikon versus Canon. I am just not familiar with anyone else leveraging the breech like style of mount.

I've read this is more than one place. One site said that canon can use other manufacturers lenses (with an adapter of course) while others can not use canon. Maybe that's why they say canon's mount system is better . I dont Know???

Not really mount design but more to do with the flange distance of the Canon EOS system.

Obviously not since the the FD breech style mount is no longer used by any currently manufactured Canon camera. :er:

I find it odd that I mention Canon having a unique advantage in their design of breech mount lenses and someone is still compelled to counter with a sentence stating "Nikon".

and no... I didn't mention it because practically everyone uses a bayonet style of mount with rotating surfaces. Not really unique is it? Nothing to do with Nikon versus Canon. I am just not familiar with anyone else leveraging the breech like style of mount.

Good God man you didn't actually take this seriously?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back