New Forum for Nikon

RONDAL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nikon Resource • Index page

Found this on another forum, nice to finally see a forum specifically for nikon folks. Thought I would do my part to pass it along.

Hey guys,

I have noticed that there arent really any great Nikon User forums out there. I have seen a few but some want you to pay for certain features and most havea user base that is a bit older than I'd like. Canon has photography on the net which is awesome but there isnt really anything as good for nikon users. Sooo I figured I would start a forum with hopes that this can be that forum for nikon users. Please check out the site and let me know what you think. Register and start posting. Please tell your nikon friends as well. Also I will be looking for moderators as the site grows. So anyone interested in that please let me know. I'm Mike@nikonresource on the site. Just send me a pm.

[URL="http://www.nikonresource.com/"]http://www.nikonresource.com[/URL]

Nikon Resource • Index page

Found this on another forum, nice to finally see a forum specifically for nikon folks. Thought I would do my part to pass it along.

Hey guys,

I have noticed that there arent really any great Nikon User forums out there. I have seen a few but some want you to pay for certain features and most havea user base that is a bit older than I'd like. Canon has photography on the net which is awesome but there isnt really anything as good for nikon users. Sooo I figured I would start a forum with hopes that this can be that forum for nikon users. Please check out the site and let me know what you think. Register and start posting. Please tell your nikon friends as well. Also I will be looking for moderators as the site grows. So anyone interested in that please let me know. I'm Mike@nikonresource on the site. Just send me a pm.

http://www.nikonresource.com

Are you kidding me? NikonCafe is an incredible forum and actually quite huge. I'm amazed that someone would say there are no good free Nikon specific forums out there with the cafe just around the web corner.

Nikon Resource = 14 members, 3 registered users currently online

Nikon Cafe = 13,256 members, 74 registered users currently online

And in the evenings there will be 200-300 active users on the cafe.

i belong to nikonians too....good stuff

Are you kidding me? NikonCafe is an incredible forum and actually quite huge. I'm amazed that someone would say there are no good free Nikon specific forums out there with the cafe just around the web corner.

I belong to Nikon Cafe. Well, I'm a member there, but I don't know if I BELONG there. It seems like there are only a few people who are new to photography on there and had D40's. Most seem to have the "expensive" gear. I don't think I fit in there. I read there most of the time and don't post much at all.

I belong to Nikon Cafe. Well, I'm a member there, but I don't know if I BELONG there. It seems like there are only a few people who are new to photography on there and had D40's. Most seem to have the "expensive" gear. I don't think I fit in there. I read there most of the time and don't post much at all.

Well, if you were ever to post on there much you would find out that it's an extremely friendly and helpful group of people. I've always gotten helpful responses, even from people with D3's, D700's, etc... and I've only got a measly D70s with the 50mm f1.8 being my best current lens. I think if you'd post on there, you'd find that out.

The problem with Nikon Cafe is that it's almost too large. If you go 48 hours without logging in and hit the "view new posts" there will be about 10 pages worth of stuff to look through. However, getting nikon specific questions answered is very easy and fast on that forum.

Is the Nikon Cafe geared towards mostly professionals?

Not even close.

I find the Cafe to be pretty boring. The - to me at least - only good thing going was the VERY robust For Sale forum. However they turned tail and ran when a legal issue came out, and basically tossed the baby out with the bathwater. I haven't really been there since.

Ok, thanks for the info...I like it here actually - plus getting perspectives from users of ALL manufacturers I think is helpful.

JMO.

Nikonians sucks.

POTN is so much better.

Now that the flaming may inevitably start...

Nikonians is about making money. Every time you log in, they're bugging you to upgrade to a paid membership. Plus you can't even post photos if you haven't bought a membership. And the worst thing I've seen there is that they will ban you if they find out you don't own Nikon gear.

That's rediculous.

POTN is a Canon DSLR forum, but they're open to any one with any type of camera. The only stipulation is that you're not supposed to post questions about Nikon gear in the gear forums, the rest of the forum is open and in fact there are some pretty cool Nikon users there. They were even thinking about opening a Nikon DSLR forum, but people were voicing concerns about valuable members of the community using the new board and not posting on POTN anymore.

I just feel that Nikonians is about making money and the board vibe in general seems very elitist.

Plus you can't even post photos if you haven't bought a membership.

I don't like the layout of Nikonians, but this is simply not true. The only restricted area is the Buy/Sell forums, and if most forums had a built in barrier (in this case money) to restrict the number of spam/fraud posts - well we'd all be better for it.

Having said that Photography On The Net is a nice forum, however it has its pocket of elitism as well. All one needs to do is trudge into the more "advanced" photo posters area (Glam, Wedding, etc) to see this. This is endemic of ALL forums across all niches.

I don't like the layout of Nikonians, but this is simply not true. The only restricted area is the Buy/Sell forums, and if most forums had a built in barrier (in this case money) to restrict the number of spam/fraud posts - well we'd all be better for it.

Having said that Photography On The Net is a nice forum, however it has its pocket of elitism as well. All one needs to do is trudge into the more "advanced" photo posters area (Glam, Wedding, etc) to see this. This is endemic of ALL forums across all niches.

All I know is that I tried to post and it asked me for money again.

But POTN's posters in there have that sense of attitude mainly based on perceived skill. There's not a whole overall sense at POTN that if you don't own Canon, you're not good enough.

I took a look at the Nikonians website and it also asked me for money and wouldn't let me view any of the pages without paying.

Most reactions

Back