What now?

Jared185

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,
So my camera (Nikon d3000) I was using has now been killed. Thanks to my 4 year old son taking it out of my car and so politely placing it into the koi pond while I was getting his brother out of the house and into a car seat. So the camera is dead won't turn on. Anyway my sd card survived so i managed to save all my recent photos of landscapes. But now it leaves me in a bit of a messed up situation. At the moment I don't have a ton of money to replace the camera with a new dslr. Much less for lenses. I've checked Craigslist and found a few cameras but none that looked like they were taken care of and some didn't function properly. So to buy a new camera I have around 200-250 any opinions on what I should get until I can replace the dslr? Any decent point and shoot in that price range that supports raw and manual mode? I've been using my iPhone 7 and Lightroom mobile and made some very nice landscape shots with it but want a dedicated camera

Hi there,
first of all I wouldn´t give up the old camera. Immediately remove the battery and dry it. Sun, dry place, maybe even in the oven at very low temperatures. I´ve seen a lot of things reanimated I wouldn´t have believed. As long as it was no saltwater, there is a possibility. And it is better than just throwing away.

Put the camera into a ziplok bag with some dry rice, saltine crackers or dessicant packs. That may help dry it out quicker.

Well thanks for input guys but I should've mentioned that I have tried to dry it out before posting with rice and it didn't work also set it out in sun all day today and nothing. lol I don't think my wife would be happy about trading in my son for a new camera either. But anyway I'd like to buy a camera new. And I know that I don't have a ton to spend but right now I'm wanting to work on fundamentals and basics as I'm new to the photography scene and got advice from a professional photographer to wait till I had around 1000 and buy a higher end kit instead of buying a cheap dslr and said that a point and shoot that would allow manual control and raw images would do just fine for now. I also get a bonus from work in 2 months that would give me around 2000 to work with in terms of buying a camera and a couple lens so right now I just want to get a nice point and shoot to where I can be out taking photos and working on the basics. And after I purchase my bigger dslr I'll still use the point and shoot when I'm in the car going from place to place in case I come up on a scene I want to photograph. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a nice dslr in the car when working

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about compacts in that pricerange.
But I want to motivate you to not give up that D3000 yet. One day in the sun is nothing. The camera is pretty well sealed, even though it might not have an official weather sealing. If you would want to dry a plastic bag that had become wet on the inside, it would take much longer than that. Give it at least a week.

Well guys I appreciate the advice, and all the posts. Just to let you all know the Nikon is now working like new. I bought another battery and it come on like nothing had happened. Took it with me this afternoon with my canon eos 1 switched back and forth and got some good shots with each on this outing. These cameras are tougher than I thought.

Most reactions

Back