What second FX body would you buy ?

My GF and I both have a D810 and D700 each. We borrow as necessary based on level of the client. Why do you feel you need an Fx? The D610 felt a bit like a lame duck of a camera. If you must, get another D750 if you can wait, get the replacement.

She's likely getting the D500 next and I'm semiseriously pondering a switch to Fujifilm. Sony is attractive if they can get their ergonomics in order.

But I'm probably trapped into Nikon so that we can maximize usage of our cameras. So I'm running a parallel system of a D810 for work and mft or 1" for vacations.
Went on a trip about 6 months ago with few friends and friends of friends.
Everybody but 2 people had Nikon
The two were one with 5D III
The second is a lady who had the Nikon D750 and decided to move to the Fuji XT-10
She admitted the D750 was better in everyway but the biggest thing was low light performance.
She found the XT-10 simply acceptable but not in the level she was accustomed to.
She kept the Fuji because she said it was hard for her to walk around with a big DSLR but that's the only thing that is keeping her to Fuji.
Her boyfriend has a D610 so she said in times she needs to shoot in more serious conditions she will borrow the D610 from him, she also said in most cases she shoots in good lighting condition so the Fuji is perfect for that.

I did just that, and got a D600 to accompany my D800. Paid peanuts for the D600. Sent it to Nikon for the free shutter replacement. Done! Boom!
Button layoff is slightly different but not something that bothers me in any way. Never even thought about it.
Do you work in an extremely fast paste environment situations like event photography ?
If not then I agree but I need a camera that has same button layout, not close but as close as possible.
If not I might have opted for a nicely used D800, maybe a used D810

I do at times. It hasn't been an issue for me. But, that's me. If you would flow better with two of a kind, then you should go that route. I completely understand.
@shadowlands why do you disagree with my post?
What? Simply posting my take on the subject.
@shadowlands You marked my post as disagree.. It has a red x under with your name. Just wondering what you disagree with?
Accident. I don't even have a clue about how I did that.

One thing I saw on a youtube thing was for the d750. You can reprogram the video button to be the ISO button (like on the d500 which has the ISO button by the release) instead of bottom left. I couldn't find this feature on the D600 though. Of course, I'm not sure how you turn on/off video if needed if you reprogram that button.

Last edited:
Checked the d750 movie button via menu selection f9. Can reassign to:
- White Balance
- ISO Senstivity
- Choose Image Area
- None

I'll be changing mine to ISO, as that's the one function I'm always using and between the d600 and d750 it confuses me. Now the buttons will be far enough different where I shouldn't get confused. Now I'll just mess up reviewing and image with the + and - buttons ... and white balance.

I'd go for another D750 to keep the feeling the same. Right now I'm shooting with a D750 as my main body with a D700 as the second. Sometimes the button lay out slows me down but after a few attempts, your muscle memory kicks in.

This thread has been brilliant, I'm in exactly the same position (only I don't do event photography, but doing a lot of night shooting I would find button layout similarity of major use) as I have a D750 and on my most recent trip took my old D5300 as a second body - The trip led me to sell the D5300 as I found the different DOP and focal lengths a real pain (I have 14, 20, 35 & 85 mm primes) and the totally different layout and featureset a mild pain too. Have been thinking about a D600 as a daytime walkaround body for the 20mm, for many of the reasons above and they're pretty affordable for a semi-recent FX body (£600 or so) and with Nikon still offering recall on them seems a safe bet too.

Has there been any indication on a D750 follow up? Just wonder as I guess that could bring D750 prices down too (and two identical bodies would be great) but spending another£1k+ on a second body is something I can't really entertain at present.

I think the D750 is too new. I fully expect to see a D850 soon however -- something FF with the same specs and the D5 and D500.

I think the D750 is too new. I fully expect to see a D850 soon however -- something FF with the same specs and the D5 and D500.
Oh yes please, that will be lovely, and the sooner the better :)

Sounds to me like you are using your equipment to make money on the side. If it were me I'd get another D750 for the plain and simple reason that I would be less likely to make a mistake using a wrong setting because I got confused over which camera I was using.

I would say a D600 :1219:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back