What should I go with?

IDLaxStar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am not sure what body I should go with. I have an olympus e-410 right now but I want to upgrade and probably go with canon. I want to buy a pretty cheap body then invest in some nice glass. I will be shooting sports mainly, and a lot of high school football. I was set on buying a used 40d but I am thinking about it more now and I am not sure. Should I save up and buy a nicer body now or go cheaper and buy a 30d? Basically should I buy a 30d 40d 50d or 7d? Is there a huge difference in the 30d 40d or 50d? I know the 7d is way better then them both but much more expense. What do you guys think? I am not ruling anything out by the way too.

Why change? Why not keep the Olympus body and invest in some good Zuiko glass? What is wrong with it, or what does it lack that you would get from an "upgrade" to a Canon?

I might one day get serious into photography specifically sports photography. And i feel that canon and nikon offer much more, it is also easier to find used gear from them. So I figure switch over now before I invest a lot of money in olympus rather then 5 or even 10 years down the road when i really feel that i need to switch to canon i have a ton of money down the drain. I am only 19 by the way.

I'd give Nikon a serious look if you are interested in a camera for sports photography. Olympus really has a serious limitation with the smaller sensor and its high ISO limitations. If I were shooting paid sports assignments right now, today, I would want a pair of Nikon D3s bodies. Used, pro-level camera bodies which are a generation behind current, and are bought from amateur shooters, is a good way to equip yourself with high-level gear at fair prices.

What camera? Around the 600 700 dollars range preferably.

If you're LUCKY you can get a used D3s in fair condition for ~$3700 or so. I think way all the different options Nikon and Canon are pretty evenly matched overall. At the end of the day, pro gear costs. A lot! A used Nikon D700 (full-frame body) can probably be had for around $1800 while a D300 (high-end APS-C body) around $1200.

I am not looking to buy top of the line stuff. Photography is just a hobby for me right now. I am hoping to get a job working for my college newspaper or something soon but I am not getting paid or anything. I don't want to spend more then 1000 dollars top on a body preferably around 600.

Derrel, why should i look into nikon? Why are they better for sports?

The Nikon D90 and Canon T2I (body only for both) are both around your budget. The D90 has a faster FPS which is good for sports.

The Nikon D90 and Canon T2I (body only for both) are both around your budget. The D90 has a faster FPS which is good for sports.

But the T2i has slightly better low-light performance, can record in 1080p (if you plan on doing any video), and produces much larger images (which, if you plan on printing large prints, is important).

They're both nearly identical in terms of performance and such...In the end it comes down to "which company do you want to be using for the next ## years". You have to decide judging by the quality and price of lenses, availability of those lenses, and feel of the cameras themselves. Try them out and see which one you like better.

You could get a T2i, or you could get a 40D and have a bit left over to continue saving for better glass

But the T2i has slightly better low-light performance, can record in 1080p (if you plan on doing any video), and produces much larger images (which, if you plan on printing large prints, is important).

They're both nearly identical in terms of performance and such...In the end it comes down to "which company do you want to be using for the next ## years". You have to decide judging by the quality and price of lenses, availability of those lenses, and feel of the cameras themselves. Try them out and see which one you like better.

You could get a T2i, or you could get a 40D and have a bit left over to continue saving for better glass

I wasn't saying he/she should get one over the other. I figured if you want it for sports, you want the highest FPS. But of course the lens used will have a bigger difference over the camera used.

Most reactions

Back