I have had a similar problem recently. I do not know what to charge for my work either. I spoke with a professional photographer, one whom I have quite a bit of respect for, and he insists that until I consider myself a pro, that I charge nothing. He says to treat it like a learning opportunity. He also mentioned that once I shoot about 80 - 90% 'good' shots, then I will be ready to charge.
I agree, and disagree with him. My main dilemma is that I really prefer to take pictures of nature. Macro shots are one of my favs. What tends to happen is my friends and in some cases acquaintances will regularly ask me to take pictures of their newborn, or to take family pictures for christmas, or to shoot their wedding. The problem is I don't even really like to take those pictures. I do it to get some experience because I feel like it will help me in the long run. But it really is a big pain in the ***. Especially weddings because those are an ungodly amount of work/effort.
Recently my Ex-Girlfriends sister asked me to shoot her wedding reception. I really didnt want to, and knew the only reason she was asking me was because she didn't want to get charged a huge (to her, ungodly) amount of money. No offense to you pros out there, because i know the work and time that goes into it, but your high prices are exactly the reason why people like
racefan24 and I get people that ask us to take pictures for them. They want pictures taken on a nice camera, but can't afford to pay a pro.
racefan24, i've noticed the same thing you have. some people on the internets are rude. You really just have to get used to it.
Anyone of your friends will look at your pictures and say there amazing, nearly half of the people on this forum will think they are ****. It's all based on who you surround yourself with. A lot of these people are pros and are used to taking/seeing amazing photographs. Most of your friends can't determine a good photo from a great one. I'm not trying to give you crap, because my friends are the same way, but you should always keep that in mind.
As for your price here is what I have decided to do. Well a couple of options I have played with anyway.
1.) If someone looks at your work, likes your work, and wants you to work for them. I would charge them an hourly wage, or a basic 'shooting fee'.
2.) If you feel under confident about your work, and you think the customer could be disappointed, you could try shooting it for free, aka experience shooting. Then if they end up liking your work, charge them afterwords. If they offer you too little, or don't want to pay what you think is reasonable. You don't have to sell them your photos.
3.) Until you are more experienced you could shoot for free, and then just charge for the prints. Yes, you could lose money and waste time doing this. However, you still have the prints, and can use them in your portfolio.
I hope my non-pro advice helps you along the way.
I'm charging $50 - $100 for that wedding im shooting in march. The money basically cost the gas to get there, with a little extra added. In the end she will be getting a disk with all the images I took, with no PP. If she wants me to do extra work on them (assuming im not feeling generous), she can pay extra for that.
One thing you do want to make sure doesn't happen... Everyone who knows you now knows you have a nice camera ... Don't get sucked into doing everything for them for free. Thats my biggest trouble. Telling people no. How do you say someone you have known your whole life that you don't have time to throw away a whole Saturday so that they can get their photos and not have to pay for them? If you find that out let me know.