What should My rates be?

Thanks KMH. I had a link up for my portfolio, but took it down. Based on answers alot of people obviously do not respect Auto Racing Photography. I respect all forms of photography, I would expect the same from others. I know this is a public forum, I just expected a little bit of respect. I mean I wouldn't bash without giving a reason.

Also, if anybody is basing their opinions of my work off of the link I have on my profile, those pictures are just proofs. It is just a way for me to sell a few photo's to drivers. They look at the photo's, tell me which ones they like and then I edit the photo's for them.

Thanks KMH. I had a link up for my portfolio, but took it down. Based on answers alot of people obviously do not respect Auto Racing Photography. I respect all forms of photography, I would expect the same from others. I know this is a public forum, I just expected a little bit of respect. I mean I wouldn't bash without giving a reason.

Also, if anybody is basing their opinions of my work off of the link I have on my profile, those pictures are just proofs. It is just a way for me to sell a few photo's to drivers. They look at the photo's, tell me which ones they like and then I edit the photo's for them.

It's not we don't respect auto racing it's just the shots are not very exciting or dynamic you need to be shooting from better angles and getting in closer

So, you came here, and gave a link to unfinished work, and expected magical answers? Then you bash the users of this forum, when it was you who failed at giving adequate information to even get some type of "serious" answer.

Well played.

Back to my :popcorn:

Im a college student in Buisiness Administration. Im new to photography tho. (its been a year).

But I can give you one advice. Dont give, unless you really think the actual client will refer you. Do you understand what I mean.

Not charging for something would be a marketing strategy, this strategy is good if you think your client will refer you. If he doesnt refer you, well you lost your time, energy and potential money. Good referers would included famillies that want a portrait since they will hang the photo in there house and friends will see and ask where they got it done.

Also, if your work is bad you have to charge. (If its not good you wont get refered).

I would like to see your photos. But I dont know where to check...

I will post a link to some of my work, I originally took it down because people were bashing it. If you would like to give constructive criticism I would love it, but don't just say it sucks. Realize I am working with a XTI and will be purchasing a 50D very soon.

Brett Moist's Photos - Brett Moist Photography | Facebook

Listen people I only asked a simple question. I KNOW I don't have a good enough portfolio to be considered a professional photographer, but come on don't bash me (constructive criticism is different than what you all are doing). You attack me not realizing that I am not a professional photographer, I am not looking to make a living with charging for photo's right now. I don't have the equipment. Obviously none of you respect auto racing photography. Please research auto racing photography before completely bashing my work. I am glad I posted this because I was considering just maybe to go into a more fine art way with photography in the future, but I can see that most photographers in that industry are rude and rather bash their fellow photographers who are NEW than help them.
Tulsa: My goal is to be in the Auto racing field so naturally my portfolio will be filled with racing photos. I am upgrading to a canon 50d and the 70-200 f2.8 lens by the end of the year. My portfolio is more about showcasing the skills I may possess than amazing work. I bought my first camera not even two years ago so I don't have much work as of yet.

AUS-10. Thats a really rude comment. If your gonna say something is bad have the balls to say WHY. Not just O your work sucks.

In closing again this forum is for people who need help, I was hoping to get help not be ridiculed. If I asked for my work to be criticized then I would have asked. I asked for help and other than complex answers ( I do appreciate those). To the rest of you who like to say if something isn't good enough for you without giving a reason and offering how you can better it (constructive criticism), leave us newbies alone!!!

good call bro

I will post a link to some of my work, I originally took it down because people were bashing it. If you would like to give constructive criticism I would love it, but don't just say it sucks. Realize I am working with a XTI and will be purchasing a 50D very soon.

Brett Moist's Photos - Brett Moist Photography | Facebook

I used to take sports shots with a 10D that probably cannot focus as well as a XTI, any camera can shoot sports if you know what the camera can do

Keep your head up, and don't let people get you down about your work. Not everyone is going to be a fan. Keep shooting, thats the only way you're going to improve. Shooting what you love will help also.

As far as my opinion as to what to charge.....I really have none. Just because I know nothing about the racing market or how much it would even be worth.

Good luck!

Realize I am working with a XTI and will be purchasing a 50D very soon.

I was once told, "The camera doesn't make the picture, the photographer does." I believe they were right. I don't blame my baseball glove when I miss a ground ball. I don't blame my bat when I swing and miss.

Dont get butt hurt cause I gave you my honest opinion. It has nothing to do with not appreciating the subject..... Its the composition, or lack thereof, in your shots that I'm talking about. I just expected alot more from someone that is paying for an education in that field and still isnt producing interesting photos at the least. Dont take it personally bro. If I asked that question on the internet I would expect the honest truth not sugar-coated BS that people often blow up newbs asses. And that teaches them nothing.

Threads like this often leave me almost speachless

Ok I'm going to ignor the pricing request - not out of disrespect but because I honestly have no idea as to pricings at all. I'm also going to try and ignor most of the snark and quick critical quips that have appeard. Honestly guys some of you commenting here I KNOW can do a lot better than you show - short simple and harsh might be very honest and true but it also leaves little for a person to work with and improve upon and when its given by someone who is a stranger (and who is also in no position of respect) it boards on just being plain rude.

So my advice to the OP - the thread has moved away from pricings and back into your photography, so take this as a message regarding your works and others viewing of them. Pick a few of your best shots - process them as you would for a client and put them into a thread. Have a look at the "getting C&C" link in my sig and put that info in as well and then see what responces and advice you can get back from that.
Hopefully you can get some guidance and advice as to where weaknesses are and how to improve upon them in both shooting style and compostion.

Dare I even suggest that some posting here in this thread might even suggest some works that the OP could look at/study to broaden their understanding.

In closing - keep shooting - listen but don't let the harsh comments get you down - keep shooting and improving :)

Last edited:
Yea but not saying what they are doing right is just as bad. There should be a balance. When I give advice to somebody on ANYTHING, even if what they are doing is **** I always help by stating what they should do to get better and what they are doing right to make sure they don't get discouraged. If somebody can't hit a baseball with a bat and you say they suck at hitting a ball, you can't expect that they will get better.

Also with that portfolio, it is not a professional portfolio, it is just so showcase what I can do at this point. I am not looking to start my career right now. I also believe that some people that are giving criticism are putting me up to their professional standards. I am NOT a professional so please understand that while looking at my portfolio.

Eric-Holmes, I agree with you, maybe it is just me and my 50-250mm f4-5.6 lens. it is nearly impossible for me to manually focus on a race car during a race when they are going 150-200mph. I have always been told that it is the glass that is making my photo's fuzzy, then again I could be wrong.

If a couple pictures were posted I would gladly comment on them and help the dude out. But since only a link to a facebook page was posted its kinda hard to critique 20+ photos

Most reactions

New Topics

Back