What the heck?

Ihaveaquestion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have this wheel thing behind the picture pushing button.

If i roll it it changes some numbers and it i push it down and rollit it changes some other numbers.

Whats this thing for?

probably exposure.

What camera do you have?

Ihaveaquestion said:

If i roll it it changes some numbers and it i push it down and rollit it changes some other numbers.

Whats this thing for?

:lmao: you have a lot of reading to do. don't you have a manual for your camera?

Yeah It said iso an metering (or something like that?) but didnt say what the hell it did?

It was just like this is how you chang it?

A lot of good the book did for me?

Ihaveaquestion said:

Whats this thing for?

I believe some cameras used this feature to generate lottery numbers. ;)

To answer your question we need to know what camera you have.

I couldn't find info' on your particular camera but typically Canon uses the rear wheel to set the "F" number.
The higher the number the smaller the aperture and vice versa.
The lowest number is set by the lens so if you've got the 28 - 90mm lens then the lowest number at 28mm will be F4 and at 90mm it will be F5.6.
High end will probably be around F32.
If the wheel has a dual function your manual should tell you.
HTH.

I've got the Elan 2e. In the custom modes it changes the shutter time and the exposure. Then there's a really big wheel on the back which I'm not sure of what it does.

OK, it's most likely the ISO toggler. You set it according to the ISO rating of your film (eg 100, 800, 25) so it knows how to meter correctly. If it is set to 800 and you are using 100 speed film the meter register 3 stops under what it should, and vice versa. If it does indeed control the ISO setting, then I would suggest you get a good introductory photography book that covers SLRs.

On any Canon I've owned that wheel adjusts a whole variety of settings depending on the mode the camera is in. In Aperture Priority it adjusts the aperture, Shutter Priority it adjusts the shutter speed, or the ISO rating. I might be wrong but in Program mod i think it adjusts both the shutter and aperture simultaneously.
I think the manual assumes that the user has a basic knowledge of what they're doing so it won't go into detail about what each feature will do to your photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back