What's new

What to buy to take pictures like...........

Sleven

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 12, 2011
Messages
15
Reaction score
1
Location
USA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am super new to photography. So new that my current 'camera' also makes phone calls. I have always wanted to really delve into it a bit but never mustered up the courage to take that beginning leap into the pixelated world. So, I have no idea if I need to invest $500 into a camera or if I can simply invest $100. I think the best way for you experts here to be able to help me answer that would be for me to show you some of the pictures that I love to give you an idea of the types of pictures I would like to take. So, here it goes.

Sleven.trip's favorite photos and videos | Flickr


What I really want to do is show how things that are run down, old, outdated, and in a state of disrepair can still be beautiful.

As you can see by my flickr favorites I lean quite a bit toward HDR images, but I also will be wanting to take many images that are just regularly exposed and use natural lighting to capture what I see.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am really hoping to go buy a camera next Saturday and start exploring in Detroit.

Signed
Your neighborhood anxious photographer
 
Well you flickr stream is of 'the pixelated world' so what are you hinting at ? you need to tell us what you perceive an upgrade might do for you.
 
I am simply looking for information on what type of equipment will be required for me to be able to take pictures similar to the ones on my flickr stream. I know that I will need a tripod for sure, and some photo editing software. But will a cheap point and shoot camera do what I want? Or do I need to fork out a little more cash and get a mid-range DSLR? Or is there another option all together?
 
Well photography is like any other hobby you can get in for cheap or mortgage the house. If you are really interested and serious than you need to look into a DSLR. But if you are not interested in editing your own photos and just want a picture than maybe a highend point and shoot. Most pretty serious beginners buy cheap and than in 3-6 months sell out and buy something better. Go to a camera store and get a good feel for the cameras and what they are capable of. DONT GO TO BEST BUY they mostly know nothing. You can also buy used which can save you quite a bit on the camera but not alot on the lens. Oh and for what its worth $500 will not get you much in the DSLR department most nice flashes cost that much. Hope this helps.
 
I have seen a few DSLRs on the shelves of pawn shops for less than 300 with the lense and flash on em. They come with a 30 day warranty and one of the shops I know and trust. So I may give that a shot if a DSLR will make that much of a difference over a point and shoot for me.
 
Interesting, but $300 for an original digital rebel is not a good deal...
The pop up flash is not ideal either.
 
Also the DSLR is only beneficial if one knows how to use it out of the auto settings. If you plan on using auto than get a decent point and shoot.
 
They had a couple pentax (which i have never heard of)...a few olympus (film) and a nikon.
 
I suggest you find out the models and do some research before you waste your money...
 
I will definitely do that. I would hate to throw hundreds of dollars at a 15 dollar paper weight.
 
Well I didn't mention that I liked your flickr stream. A digital SLR type camera would be moving in the right direction. It allows you fuller control over the picture taking process and gives you the option of using a wide range of interchangeable lenses: wide-angle, close-up or long range photography; standardized filters in a few different sizes, shoe-mounted flash, off camera flash etc. A film SLR system gives you this too, as would a larger ("medium format") film system i.e 120-film size. Digital has some advantages over using film however film also possesses some edge over budget digital output too.

Any fault-free Canon/Nikon DSLR (any) will give you a vast improvement over the phonecam imaging you are using at the moment. A megazoom camera like a Lumix FZ or Canon/Nikon/Sony will as well, but to a lesser degree in terms of picture quality.
 
I'd reccoment, based on your budget, something like a nikon D40 or Maybe a D80. An 18-55 kit lens is fine to start out with, but you'll wanna upgrade to something better down the road most likely.

Also, don't just go to walmart and spend $40 on a tripod. A GOOD tripod is very important, be prepared to spend at least $100 for one, and you'll wanna upgrade that as you get better too.

I'd reccomend a kit like this:


[URL="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614842-REG/Slik_613344_Pro_340_BH_4_Section.html"]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614842-REG/Slik_613344_Pro_340_BH_4_Section.html

Nikon D40 6.1 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Kit w/ ... | eBay

[/URL]Also, most of the photos you linked to are HDR photos, which will require some software to do.

Photoshop can do it, but it's expensive and you probably don't need most of the features you'd be paying for. Look into one of these HDR software programs. I use Artizen personally, and I like it so far.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For most of the images you showed on Flicker most any entry level DSLR camera with a quality lens or mid/advanced point and shoot can get you the basic picture. But what I don't think you realize is that those photos are heavily post processed in Photoshop or some other editing program to get the final effect. That takes more than money, plan to invest lots of time working on images to learn how to get the results like those. You might be better off starting with the entry level kit anyways so you can work on learing the basics of photography, if you start off with a well executed photo then your post work has a better potential of being something nice.
 
Thanks all for the input. I will definitely look into those links that were sent and I'll be sure to invest in a decent tripod. I think you guys have convinces me that a decent DSLR is the way to go for sure.

@tony S. I am aware that no camera will give me the types of images I am looking at. I have been interested in HDR images for a couple years now and have researched quite a bit on how they are done. I think I could probably talk someone through the process with as much as I have read about them, just have yet to actually jump into it and do it.
 
Thanks all for the input. I will definitely look into those links that were sent and I'll be sure to invest in a decent tripod. I think you guys have convinces me that a decent DSLR is the way to go for sure.

@tony S. I am aware that no camera will give me the types of images I am looking at. I have been interested in HDR images for a couple years now and have researched quite a bit on how they are done. I think I could probably talk someone through the process with as much as I have read about them, just have yet to actually jump into it and do it.

Cool man, best of luck! If you have any more questions, let me know. Also, getting HDR photos to look good is no easy task. It's a totally different kind of editing that has a steep learning curve. I'm not very good at it myself.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom