What to do...what to do

ahenry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I need some advice. I’ve searched the forum and read the threads, and I still can’t make up my mind.

While new to the forum, I’m not overly new to photography. I’d call myself a lifelong hobbyist, having first started taking pictures back in highschool, but never making any money from it, or taking any formal instruction. I “learned” photography on my dad’s Canon AE-1 Program, moved to a 35mm Rebel and then ventured into the digital realm with a Rebel XT/350D (what can I say, I don’t like change…just ask my wife).

Earlier this year my camera bag was stolen…lenses, filters, body, flash, batteries, everything gone except my tripod (yippee). I’m looking to rebuild my supplies and while I’m a fan of Canon, if I’m honest with myself I have to admit that it’s mainly because of tradition or because I had equipment that I could keep using. I’ve got enough experience to realize I’m buying a system more than I am a camera, and that is really the heart of my question. Which system to go with?

I’m fairly certain that I’ll always stay at the bottom end of DSLR’s, like I said, I’m a hobbyist, and not rich. My preferred subjects are typically nature (both landscapes and macro). I take family pictures, but I’ve never delved into portraiture. In the back of my mind I’d like to delve into it someday, but to date, I haven’t. Despite my enjoyment of the status quo, I do like buying the latest gadgets, but my budget typically gets in the way. Price is definitely a factor for me. This is even more so, given that I have to buy everything.

So with that, admittedly brief*, description of my photography wants, what brand would you go with and why?

*I am happy to delve into my needs more, but I didn’t want to make an already long post, longer.

If I were you, I will go with the Canon since you are familiar with them. There are quite a few of the low end DSLR cameras out there and they all capable to take good images. So choosing one you are already familiar with is not a bad choice.

Especially with the introduction of the XSi and XS, a lot of places are clearing the older models (XT, XTi) out. i.e. Sears, office depots ...

The 30d's are being cleaned out at bargain basement prices. If you're familiar with an xt, the 30 should be a nice step up while staying in or near the basement prices.

Honestly I would say go canon (and not just because I shoot canon ;)).

Nature is an expensive area to like - mostly as wildlife decent lenses are long focal length and wide aperture ones - which makes them get expensive quickly. Canon telephoto lens prices tend to be far cheaper than the nikon counterparts - though quality wise they are about the same.

Secondly with regard to macro both have good and sharp macro lenses, with Nikon even having a macro lens with image stabalization built in. This is an advantage to nikon if you are looking at just sticking with a regular macro lens - however Canon have one extra lens - the MPE 65mm macro - which will do up to 5 times life size macro (most macro is to life size only). This allows you to get super close shots (though you have to be super close to the subject). Its not an easy lens to use, but the results from it can be amazing.

Thirdly if your used to the system you can at least get started a little quicker.

In the end though its down to your personal choise, but I would look at the lenses on offer and decide which system offers you the lenses that you want and can afford to take photos that you desire - having an understanding of photography already you are in a better position than many to be able to plan out which lenses you want

That’s been my thinking so far. Another XT would work just fine I think. 8 megapixels seemed like plenty when I got it. Granted 12 would be nice, but not a must have.

I really like the spot metering of the XSi. Less important, but still nice is the larger LCD. I couldn’t care less about live view, but it has its place. Most of the other features are similar between the older and newer models, so it seems like (for me) I’d be paying hundreds of dollars for spot metering and a large LCD. Some of the lower end Nikon’s have spot metering (i.e. D40X) and you pick up a bit on the resolution. Granted a D40X is more expensive than an XT, but you pick up some legitimate features.

Txaggie08
The 30D might be a good way to go. Somehow I’d glossed over them completely in my research. A quick look at them seems positive. Guess I’ll have to see what they’re going for around here.

Ahenry ‘00

I really like the spot metering of the XSi. Less important, but still nice is the larger LCD. I couldn’t care less about live view, but it has its place. Most of the other features are similar between the older and newer models, so it seems like (for me) I’d be paying hundreds of dollars for spot metering and a large LCD. Some of the lower end Nikon’s have spot metering (i.e. D40X) and you pick up a bit on the resolution. Granted a D40X is more expensive than an XT, but you pick up some legitimate features.
It sounds like the 30D would be perfect for you. It is basically an XT with spot metering and a larger LCD (and a larger body, which most find more comfortable). You should be able to get one for $500 or less used.

Nature is an expensive area to like - mostly as wildlife decent lenses are long focal length and wide aperture ones - which makes them get expensive quickly. Canon telephoto lens prices tend to be far cheaper than the nikon counterparts - though quality wise they are about the same.

Secondly with regard to macro both have good and sharp macro lenses, with Nikon even having a macro lens with image stabalization built in. This is an advantage to nikon if you are looking at just sticking with a regular macro lens - however Canon have one extra lens - the MPE 65mm macro - which will do up to 5 times life size macro (most macro is to life size only). This allows you to get super close shots (though you have to be super close to the subject). Its not an easy lens to use, but the results from it can be amazing.

This is kinda what I was shooting for with my question; system recommendations. It seems like Canon gets the nod in the price department (both for bodies and for lenses). Of course all my previously owned lenses were Sigma or Tamron anyway, so I don't know if the prices for Canon/Nikon lenses will really matter.

Thirdly if your used to the system you can at least get started a little quicker.
The more I research this, the more it seems like that and personal proclivities are all that really matter. I can't really find something that pushes one over the other.

I would say that frxnz is right about the 30D, the larger body and lcd is so much nicer than my xt. I wish I would have waited and purchased the D series rather than the Rebel. My next purchase will be the 40D, someday...

Most reactions

Back