What to pack for a trip in the mountains?

Campbell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In 2 weeks I'm going to Jackson Hole, Wyoming for some snowboarding, but on one of the days I'll be taking a snowmobile excursion into the mountains to take some photos. I just got a Lowepro backpack for the occasion and am trying to think of everything I should pack. Right now all I can think of are the essentials: camera, backup lenses, charger, my old point and shoot camera (just in case), and a microfiber cloth. I think that's really all I need, but can't help but think that I'm missing something. What do you guys/girls carry with you?

I would pack a 35mm camera if you have one. I really do not know why but i always think its nice to have one. If you have room bring it.

-lens
-cleaning stuff (YOUR LENSES WILL FOG UP A LOT)
-rain coat
-Lens hoods (snow, light reflections)
-polarizer
-tripod?
-extra batteries, the cold will drain em faster.
-Holga hehe

have fun dude and post the pictures

Ziploc bags, cut and put together (both sides) with duct tape that you custom fit for your camera.

I would pack a 35mm camera if you have one. I really do not know why but i always think its nice to have one. If you have room bring it.

-lens
-cleaning stuff (YOUR LENSES WILL FOG UP A LOT)
-rain coat
-Lens hoods (snow, light reflections)
-polarizer
-tripod?
-extra batteries, the cold will drain em faster.
-Holga hehe

have fun dude and post the pictures

I wish I had more money available for the trip, I would've liked to purchase some filters and spare batteries but I guess I will have to make due with just one battery. From my experience I would have to leave my camera on for the whole ride for me to be in danger of draining the battery, but since I live in Florida I don't have a clue how the cold will affect the battery life.

And I will be sure to take as many shots as I can. It will be my first time taking photos in that kind of environment so I hope I can come back with some good ones.

Ziploc bags, cut and put together (both sides) with duct tape that you custom fit for your camera.

Ah, thanks for the reminder! I've been meaning to make a protective covering but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Hmm.. could you define cutting and putting together the sides ... ? Why not just put the camera inside the ziploc bags? I kinda can't visualize... man I'm stupid...=/

Hmm.. could you define cutting and putting together the sides ... ? Why not just put the camera inside the ziploc bags? I kinda can't visualize... man I'm stupid...=/
put the camera in the bag, position so the lens is in a corner, cut the corner so the lens isnt blocked.

I don't know how small your camera is, but I have to use at least 2 bags for mine. One for the lens, and one for the body.

Sure, a sandwich bag will hold a D40 and 18-55 :sarcasm:, but it takes two 1 gallon size bags to hold a D70 and 80-200 or 17-55 f/2.8.

You tape the bags together, and than with a razor, cut out a hole a little smaller than your filter thread, you than slip it on tight, use a non-watersoluble adhesive (hot glue works great) and glue it onto a UV filter. Than what you do is once everything is glued and attached, you put the filter (with bags glued on) onto your lens, and put the lens hood over THAT to keep any rain off of it.

done.

You also might want to tape a third bag for the back so no rain comes in the back and since it's a ziploc bag, you can see through it anyway.

I don't know how small your camera is, but I have to use at least 2 bags for mine. One for the lens, and one for the body.

Sure, a sandwich bag will hold a D40 and 18-55 :sarcasm:, but it takes two 1 gallon size bags to hold a D70 and 80-200 or 17-55 f/2.8.

You tape the bags together, and than with a razor, cut out a hole a little smaller than your filter thread, you than slip it on tight, use a non-watersoluble adhesive (hot glue works great) and glue it onto a UV filter. Than what you do is once everything is glued and attached, you put the filter (with bags glued on) onto your lens, and put the lens hood over THAT to keep any rain off of it.

done.

You also might want to tape a third bag for the back so no rain comes in the back and since it's a ziploc bag, you can see through it anyway.

I am also a bit confused, do you mind posting an example? I never knew you can do this and I was out shooting in the rain the other day!

Get a spare battery or two. Cold weather sucks the power right out of these batteries. You might also need to keep the spares close to your body, to keep them warm.

You can get off-brand batteries for much cheaper than brand name.
Check this out...
http://www.sterlingtek.com/opsbleqba.html

plenty of water. it is arid/dry there this time of year.

fingerless gloves is a must. On occasion when i go out to the moorlands i have forgotten my gloves... the first thing to freeze is your hands... ever tried operating a camera with numb fingers?... its awful... and not only is it annoying that you cant operate the thing but also your own patience will wear thin when trying to spend time getting the best shot possible before you move on.

Obviously taking full covered gloves or mittens is a big error as pressing buttons becomes almost impossible. ;)

Get a spare battery or two. Cold weather sucks the power right out of these batteries. You might also need to keep the spares close to your body, to keep them warm.

You can get off-brand batteries for much cheaper than brand name.
Check this out...
http://www.sterlingtek.com/opsbleqba.html

Awesome, thank you for that link. Much better than the $50 Olympus wants for one of their own. I may have to pick up two of those just in case.

And thanks to everyone else for the replies, all comments are very helpful.

I am also a bit confused, do you mind posting an example? I never knew you can do this and I was out shooting in the rain the other day!

I'm out of town right now, so i can't really, but if I remember when I get back i will.

Most reactions

Back