What tripod would you recommend?

JTP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've finally found the cash to upgrade my piece-of-junk $20 tripod. I've been looking around and there are so many different options... I have a Rebel XTi and I mainly use the 17-85mm lens but I'm also hoping to get a 70-200mm soon. I also use it with a Speedlite 580EX2 and battery grip. I'm looking to spend about $200-250 and I would prefer a ball head. Thanks..

I have 055XPROB + 488RC2
Bundle was around $280 from B&H (URL clicky, upper right). There is a less expensive tripod that will get you in budget - think it's model "160" or something.

Have mounted 30D and 70-200 f/2.8IS on it.

Really want to take the ball-head apart to see how something so small AND round can hold so much without any movement - not even small one.

the 70-200mm is 2.8 or 4l that you're getting? I have a quantray which isn't the greatest tripod but it can hold up to 7lbs comfortable...My upgrade would be one that is meant to hold at least 11 lbs.

You camera with that 70-200 will weight around 7 lbs I imagine. Look for ones that can handle around that range and post what you found.

There's a lot of other options but that's a good first step...2000 dollars worth of equipment you odn't want blowing over in the wind....2000 dollars worht of equipment you don't want falling because the plastic brackets. 200-250 is a great budget to have. Manfroto seem pretty strong as well as professional looking

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&sb=bs%2Cupper%28ds%29&sq=asc&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&ci=2635&shs=&at=Price_+125+%3C%3D++%3C%3D+2999.99&basicSubmit=Submit+Query
Check out these.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...&sku=439930&is=REG&si=rev#anchorToReadReviews

Seems pretty good.

I'm still not sure about the lens but if I can I will definitely get the f/2.8.

Also, I was looking on B&H, and what's the $40 difference between the 486RC2 and 488RC2 heads? The combos with the 055XPROB and those heads are below and above my budget, so is it worth it?

488 3157N Quick Release Plate

486 RC2 Quick Release Plate with 1/4"-20 Screw

The bundles has the 488 able to hold 14.0 and the other 13.2

That could be worth 40 I guess. Always would want to go heavier honestly. I'd rather have 14 max with 13lb equipment than 13.2 max with 13 lb equipment.

0.8lbs of support isn't that important to me since I'm probably not going to ever have anywhere near that much stuff on it. Also, I've never used a tripod with a low-angle adapter, how does this work? I can't picture how it has a minimum height of 2.8 inches.

I just went to Henry's to check some out. I think I'm going to go with the 190XPROB and 486RC2. The 055XPROB was a bit too big and heavy for what I need. Anyone have this combo (or anything close) and can give an opinion?

Here's a Bogen 055XPRO w/ a 322RC2 grip action ball head I use. The ball head is very nice and can be mounted several ways , I have it upright and it is very quick. The tripod is very versatile. My only regret is on a very windy day there is some stability issue with tripod, not bad really but if I get a bigger lens this will be an issue.

tripod012.jpg

tripod016.jpg

tripod019.jpg

I am looking at a carbon fiber tripod and a wimberly head now that a EF 400 f/2.8 is in the near future.

I'll probably get flamed for talking about sub-par gear, but I bought an Amvona tripod from ebay as my first ball-head tripod. The legs can get a little flimsy when fully extended and set down pretty low, but it usually works pretty well. The thing that I really like though is the head. I was at a camera shop the other day and played around with a similar looking Manfrotto head, and I swear it was exactly the same thing. The metal looks like it won't scrape as easily, but the function was literally exactly the same in smoothness and ease.

Best of all, I paid $32 shipped for head, legs and a bag to keep it in. I'll probably keep the head until I get a trigger set-up, but I'll get rid of the legs. I'd recommend their ballheads, especially at the price.

OMG!!

Uplander - thanks much! Your 2nd picture - I did not know you can do that with the 055XPRO. DOH :)

Length of center rod has been bugging me since I got it.

I second "mystwalker" got the exact set up and love it!

OMG!!

Uplander - thanks much! Your 2nd picture - I did not know you can do that with the 055XPRO. DOH :)

Length of center rod has been bugging me since I got it.

Thats's just a couple of the configurations you can do with that tripod/head set-up.

Use you imagination and and there are at least a dozen ways to use this tripod.

I found it useful in getting the camera directly over a subject looking down in macro situations.

Most reactions

Back