What type of lens to get??

newtofilm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am about to pick up the Canon T1i and it comes with the kit with the 18-55 lens. However, I have heard that these aren't the greatest of lenses.

The main purpose for purchasing this camera is that I travel a lot. What is the best all around lens that I can get for a decent price? Not looking to invest in any professional style lenses. I'm getting the camera/kit for $550.

Thanks for any insight and help!

I haven't checked prices lately, but $550 for a T1i and kit lens seems like a heck of a bargain (assuming new product).

The best all around lens short of the pro market for your camera is probably the 17-55 f2.8 - bad news is last time I checked it was about $1000

Somewhere around the price of the 28-135 (which is not wide-angle enough IMO) would be the 17-85 or newer 15-85. The 17-85 can be sourced relatively cheaply used through one of the reliable vendors such as Adorama, B&H, or KEH since a fair number or people bought them, then upgraded.

The reason it's the "kit lens" is that it's usually the best all around lens for a decent price.

You're getting the camera+kit lens for $550. How much in addition to that were you thinking of spending on another lens?

I am about to pick up the Canon T1i and it comes with the kit with the 18-55 lens. However, I have heard that these aren't the greatest of lenses.

The main purpose for purchasing this camera is that I travel a lot. What is the best all around lens that I can get for a decent price? Not looking to invest in any professional style lenses. I'm getting the camera/kit for $550.

Thanks for any insight and help!
The best all around lens you can get for a decent price...is the 18-55 mm that they offer with the T1i.

At one time Canon had a version of that lens thay wasn't very good. They came out with an improved example.

EDit: You really can't do much better for the price.

Last edited:
Its not "new", but is only a few months old, buying it off craigslist. The cheapest I could find new was over 750 (including taxes and whatnot). He says he didn't even use the lens that came with the camera, but he's upgraded to a higher model (which is why he is selling it).

Does anyone know how to check the shutter count on it?

Thanks so far!

Does anyone know how to check the shutter count on it?

File number.

IMG_4861 would be the 4861st actuation. Not exact (actuations for the cleaning mode wouldn't be counted, for example), but it's as close as you're going to get.

Some cameras record the number of actuations in the exif, but not Canons (not the Rebel line anyway).

edit
Of course, that won't tell you if it's rolled over... But if it has rolled over, general wear & tear on the body should be much more than a camera with only 1000 clicks...

Last edited:
You should be able to pick up a prime or 2 if you don't mind shooting primes. You'll have excellent quality at a relatively low cost. Of course, you'll be losing the ability to have a wide range of focal lengths, but maybe you could use the kit lens for situations where the primes won't work.

For travel and all around shooting the kit lens will work (it is the IS or image stabilized version correct?) The other thing I'd invest in is the Canon 50mm 1.8 EF lens. Slap that puppy on, set to aperture priority mode and shoot at F2.

If you do not know what lens to get, then just stay with the kit lens first. Use it, learn more. Very soon, you will know what you want to get.

Most reactions

Back