What was your least favorite lens?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm just wondering what your least favorite lens you have used is. This can be any lens by whoever. Why was it your least favorite?

For me, it was Nikon's 55-200 VR. I really did not like that lens even when I was starting out in photography. It was cheaply made, zoom was sticky and it took ages for it to focus and most of the time it failed to get the subject in focus. The image quality was terrible, though if the lighting conditions were perfect...you MIGHT have been able to get a usable shot. Maybe I just had a terrible copy because I know some who really liked that lens and got mostly sharp results but when I got the 70-300 VR...it was a night and day difference! This was a long time ago though, back when I got my first DSLR, the Nikon D60!

the 35mm 1.8g

I got almost no use out of the 18-55 mm kit lens I got with my D5100. Not saying it was a bad lens persee, just not one I ever really used. I didn't really shoot a lot of stuff at the shorter focal lengths until I got a 17-50 2.8, and I bought it mostly for indoor aquarium shots originally.

So by that time of course the 18-55 just continued to sit in the bag. I sold it with the D5100 after getting the D5200. So I wouldn't say it was a "bad" lens, just not one that was really of much use to me personally.

Second runner up, the 85mm 1.8 Nikkor. I know, kind of shocking, but I bought it primarily to shoot the big cats indoor at the zoo. Outdoors the shots it produce were amazing.. indoors.. yikes.

Something about the lighting caused serious CA in almost every shot, usually the white whiskers on the much darker background. So ended up selling that one pretty quickly.

In different lighting the results it produced where fantastic, but it didn't really work for the primary shooting situation I really needed it to work for.

Second runner up, the 85mm 1.8 Nikkor. I know, kind of shocking, but I bought it primarily to shoot the big cats indoor at the zoo. Outdoors the shots it produce were amazing.. indoors.. yikes.

Which 85 1.8?

the 35mm 1.8g

Now that's funny because that was my favorite lens on DX. Hahaha.

Which 85 1.8?

the 35mm 1.8g

Now that's funny because that was my favorite lens on DX. Hahaha.

AFS-G

You know..now that I think about it. When I owned the 85 1.8G, I noticed the same thing indoor shots of my cat. Very weird...

Nikkor 50mm f1.2. Never was the same after it rolled down that mountain.

You know..now that I think about it. When I owned the 85 1.8G, I noticed the same thing indoor shots of my cat. Very weird...

Rather sucked actually, I bought the lens specifically for that and in every other respect, it worked fantastic on my D5200. Perfect focal length for indoor zoo shooting, gave me sharp results even wide open, thanks to the fast speed I could shoot indoors with the APS-C using ISO's that were still usable.

But every cat shot, looked like they were part of some weird Prince worshiping cult, the whiskers were just covered in electric purple fringe. I could use CA reduction that helped, a little - but in the end the only way to get rid of it was to painstakingly go in with photoshop and paint it out, pixel by pixel.

So the 85 got sold.

Rather sucked actually, I bought the lens specifically for that and in every other respect, it worked fantastic on my D5200. Perfect focal length for indoor zoo shooting, gave me sharp results even wide open, thanks to the fast speed I could shoot indoors with the APS-C using ISO's that were still usable.

But every cat shot, looked like they were part of some weird Prince worshiping cult, the whiskers were just covered in electric purple fringe. I could use CA reduction that helped, a little - but in the end the only way to get rid of it was to painstakingly go in with photoshop and paint it out, pixel by pixel.

So the 85 got sold.

I often went black and white to hide it haha.

So the 85 got sold.
I had that problem with a lens before. When I increased shutter speed the purple fringing disappeared.

I had that problem with a lens before. When I increased shutter speed the purple fringing disappeared.

I was actually shooting at 1/400 and 1/500 with the 85, problem persisted. Couldn't really get any faster than that without bumping the ISO to the point where the shot wouldn't be usable anyway on the APS-C sensor.

The 50mm 1.8 AFS-G I could use in the same lighting conditions, and I'd sometimes get a little CA here and there.. but on the 85 it was massive, all the way around the whiskers. So yup, sold the lens.

I was actually shooting at 1/400 and 1/500 with the 85, problem persisted. Couldn't really get any faster than that without bumping the ISO to the point where the shot wouldn't be usable anyway on the APS-C sensor.

The 50mm 1.8 AFS-G I could use in the same lighting conditions, and I'd sometimes get a little CA here and there.. but on the 85 it was massive, all the way around the whiskers. So yup, sold the lens.
did you remove the purple plastic filter off the front of the lens ? LOL

did you remove the purple plastic filter off the front of the lens ? LOL
Your supposed to remove that? Won't the lens instantly disintegrate from deadly uv rays?

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back