What was your undergraduate major?

My "college/tech school" course was Engineering Design & Drafting Technology.

I am now a Certified Engineering Technologist.

Big Mike said:

did they teach alot of cad? i always wanted to do that...but i was more interested in the cam part of it.

md

MDowdey said:
Big Mike said:

did they teach alot of cad? i always wanted to do that...but i was more interested in the cam part of it.

When I was there, most of the courses required manual drafting :x
Assignments took forever to complete. Our class took some initiative and petitioned the instructors to allow us to use CAD rather than manual drafting. It worked in some cases.

We did learn Autocad but I could have taught those courses after working in the real world for about two months.

Now I use Autocad almost exclusively. I have used Solidworks and Inventor but for the amount of 3D work I have to do...Autocad suits me just fine. In fact, I just upgraded to Autocad 2005 mechanical a few weeks ago.

Big Mike said:
MDowdey said:
Big Mike said:

Assignments took forever to complete. Our class took some initiative and petitioned the instructors to allow us to use CAD rather than manual drafting. It worked in some cases.

We did learn Autocad but I could have taught those courses after working in the real world for about two months.

Now I use Autocad almost exclusively. I have used Solidworks and Inventor but for the amount of 3D work I have to do...Autocad suits me just fine. In fact, I just upgraded to Autocad 2005 mechanical a few weeks ago.

damn i need to get a copy of AutoCAD 2005. the job i was at before, i used autoCAD and Solidworks to program the CNC machines..it was soo much fun.

md

MDowdey said:
..it was soo much fun.

It can be fun but when you do it 40+ hours a week...it gets old sometimes. I've worked at a bunch of different companies doing this...and the work is pretty much the same. It's the other things that make the job fun etc. For example, how much time can I spend checking out thephotoforum.com ;)

A had a really cool job with a crane company. We had 3D models of the cranes and we would do 3D lifting studies where we would draw the environment and place the cranes to check for clearances etc. They had a nice new office that even had a workout room but the people there were horrible. The chain of command was all about fear and intimidation and they didn't even let us have e-mail, let alone internet.

MDowdey said:
Big Mike said:
MDowdey said:
Big Mike said:

damn i need to get a copy of AutoCAD 2005. the job i was at before, i used autoCAD and Solidworks to program the CNC machines..it was soo much fun.

md

I may have to dig in my bag of goodies for ya.

hobbes28 said:
MDowdey said:
Big Mike said:
MDowdey said:
Big Mike said:

md

I may have to dig in my bag of goodies for ya.

sweet. you would rule the earth!

md

Mitica100 said:
Digital Matt said:
...felt I was learning more on stage than I would studying jazz in college.

How true! I felt I learned the true skill of playing the violin only after I dove into the real world of playing in an orchestra. Often I felt that I lost four years of my life by going to college (Conservatory).

What instrument do you play, Matt?

I play drums and piano (enough to schlep through some standards, and to compose)

At the end of this year i'll have a BSc in Multimedia Technology and Design :)

Big Mike said:

Me too, a lot of mechanical engineering type of people on TPF. But, Some seem to be changing fields lately.

I went to college but didn't go for a degree. Just took an assortment of business classes to help me run my company. Took welding too. :p

photogoddess said:
I went to college but didn't go for a degree. Just took an assortment of business classes to help me run my company. Took welding too. :p

Hey! I took welding in high school! I was the only girl in the class, and I was better than 90% of the guys! I really made my step-dad (then a welder) proud!

the best major ever and easily the hardest to get a job with...history.

Took welding too.

welding huh? the one thing i remember from I Love the 80s...great show by the way...is melissa ethridge saying she dated a lot of welders in the 80s.

Most reactions

Back