What went wrong?

Your photo has that issue because you are using a crappy lens and you shot it at the max aperture. That would do it. I suggest stopping it down a stop.

I'm a little confused; I don't see anything in either image that strikes me as "wrong" for a scene shot with a D90 and 70-300. What precisely do you mean by clarity?

Your photo has that issue because you are using a crappy lens and you shot it at the max aperture. That would do it. I suggest stopping it down a stop.

No argument there...I'm just not sure I'm ready to drop $3000-$10,000 on a new lens. The thing is there is a lack of sharpness that I have not experienced in similar situations. For example the image below is a lot sharper again with the lens at max aperature .
185421_144812492268694_100002198315252_299943_5920908_n.jpg

You dont have to spend $3000+ to get a good lens. Basically lenses dont perform as well when you extend the zoom all the way IN or OUT. You also see it when you open up the aperture or close it really small. If you use a nicer lens, the decrease in sharpness on the long end and when the aperture is wider is not as noticeable as the cheaper lens. Thats just the way it is.

Last edited:
You dont have to spend $3000+ to get a good lens. Basically lenses dont perform as well when you extend the zoom all the way IN or OUT. You also see it when you open up the aperture. If you use a nicer lens, the decrease in sharpness on the long end and when the aperture is wider is not as noticeable as the cheaper lens. Thats just the way it is.

Any suggestions on a better lens at a reasonable price?

im not a nikon guy.. maybe a 70-200. Or I heard the older 80-200 is a nice lens and it is below $1000? Not sure. 70-200 f/2.8 is probably really expensive. Over 2K. Not sure. If you want really good performer, get a prime lens.. but of course you cant zoom. A lot of sport shooters use prime lens (more than 1 cam though).

Last edited:
I found a setting where I can choose AF-C Continuous-servo AF, or AF-A Auto Select or AF-S Single Servo AF. For sports I'm guessing AF-C is best?

I'm not a Nikon guy, but I think that would be the equivilent to the AF-Servo on the Canon. It basically tracks (from what I understand) what you are focusing on, and continually focus as the subject moves.

I was having trouble with Basketball/Volleyball before I figured out to use the Servo mode, as I would depress the shutter button, the camera would 'focus' on a spot, then of course the subject keeps moving away leaving many images slightly OOF. I had much better luck with Servo mode.

Still learning of course...but I don't think that ever ends.

Why are you shooting at 1/2500 though? And what is your ISO at?

I don't recall the ISO setting...I agree it should have been lowered. I shoot sports in the Aperature mode with the lens fully open.

Other potential issues:
on the lens ther are two switches...what should they be set at?:
1) VR on or off
2) normal or active

Also I shoot with a monopod.

I have the D90 too. Shoot with VR "on" and "normal". Get rid of the monopod.

Your photo has that issue because you are using a crappy lens.

This is an interesting comment. Keith (KmH) thinks that the 70-300mm lens is fantastic. Interesting that you and he are in such disagreement.

Monopod+ VR = Not a good combo. Get rid of the VR or the monopod, you can't use them at the same time. They being said, I don't believe it to be your issue here...

It's simply a matter of a cheap lens starting to show it's true colors. Maybe it got bumped and misaligned something, or the focus is out of calibration, or it's just dirty, etc. Cheap plastic lenses aren't going to last forever and are easy to mess up. Being that they aren't that great of image producers to begin with, the flaws will be very apparent when something happens to the lens.

You can pick up a Sigma 70-200 or Nikon 80-200 for $800-1,000. It's a great investment to make, I promise.

If you want a REALLY good lens for what you're shooting, the sigma 120-300 2.8 can be had used around $2,000.

You really just need to get some pro glass to work with, with a max aperture of 2.8 or faster, so you can shoot stopped down to f/4 and get TACK sharp photos.

Another option is the 300mm f/4 prime, the old AF model can be had for around $500, and the new AF-S model is around a grand. You are obviously trading a faster max. aperture for reach by choosing one of these, but a 300mm prime is a great lens for sports shooting.

This is an interesting comment. Keith (KmH) thinks that the 70-300mm lens is fantastic. Interesting that you and he are in such disagreement.
The 70-300 is an excellent lens! I'm not sure what Schwetty's basing his comment on; perhaps the Canon equivlalent is less than stellar?

Example!

Looking at the OP with a better monitor, I see the softness. Based on what has been stated about the conditions and the EXIF data, I suspect that several things played into the lack of IQ. First, as has been stated, no lens is as good as it can be at maximum zoom and wide-open. Next, the VR and the monopod may have (probably were) not playing nicely together.

Try doing some test shots at 300mm at f11, SS 1/1000+, VR off, no monopod. I suspect your results will be significantly better.

I dont understand about the VR and monopod. Why does it matter? His shutters were really fast.

The 70-300 is an excellent lens! I'm not sure what Schwetty's basing his comment on; perhaps the Canon equivlalent is less than stellar?

Example!

Looking at the OP with a better monitor, I see the softness. Based on what has been stated about the conditions and the EXIF data, I suspect that several things played into the lack of IQ. First, as has been stated, no lens is as good as it can be at maximum zoom and wide-open. Next, the VR and the monopod may have (probably were) not playing nicely together.

Try doing some test shots at 300mm at f11, SS 1/1000+, VR off, no monopod. I suspect your results will be significantly better.

Thanks to everyone for the replies (and please keep them coming). I'm going to be shooting two games tomorrow and will try some changes.

Most reactions

Back