TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I am looking into buying a new lens. Here is what it has come down to:

Canon 50mm F1.4
or
Canon 85mm F1.8

What do you think is a better lens? They both run around the same price and they both have really good reviews. I mainly do portraits so thats what I would be using it for.

Recommendations anyone?

I would pick the 50 f/1.4 for the speed especially on a crop sensor. I will pick mine up this week when I get paid. Afraid it might be too long on my 20D for waht I want to shoot, so also eyeing the 28 f/1.8. Everyone raves about the all 3 50mm lenses that Canon produces. Heck, teh f/1.8 is only like 90 bucks! It's actually one of those sure-fire deals where you can't go wrong with any.

For portraits I would definitely say the 85mm. Whether you use it on a small sensor Canon or move on to a full-frame model, either way the 85mm is going to give you a great angle of view for portraits. 50mm on an APS-C sensor definitely still has its uses, sometimes including portraits, but for a real "portrait lens" I would have to go for the 85mm... I like my cheap Russian 85/2 enough to go through the hassle of using an adapter and stopping down manually, and when I came to choose a macro lens it had to be a 90mm to double as a portrait lens.

I do not use Canon equipment but the photographer that is doing my wedding did my engagement shots a few weeks ago with a 50 f/1.4. I was very pleased with what I was seeing. Personally I would go with that because even when she was shooting with the 5D (full frame sensor) I did not feel as if she were too close to me while taking close ups. I have a 50 f/1.8 for my Nikon and I love it. Just MO.

Most reactions

Back