What would you do?

MWG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, as far as OCF goes i own a 580 ex II, with a pair of pocketwizards, the flex and mini. But im not satisfied with one so im going with another speedlight, as of right now it will be the 430 ex II. How much weaker is the 430 compared to the 580? Would it be worth going off-brand, and finding another light as powerful as my 580? Does any of the offbrand flashes support high-speed sync? Those are my questions as far as flashes go. If anyone is running the 580/430 combo, and is happy with it i would love some input aswell. Now i know since i own the master i could use the 430 as a slave,but i think it would be wiser to just get another flex while im at it. Anyone agree? I do alot of on-location shooting, and i hear slaves wont always fire in sunlight. Couple other questions i have are about modifiers. Currently i own a pretty run of the mill "20 softbox, i haven't used it much yet, but from my tests it does pretty decent. I also have a supercheap cowboy studio umbrella that im going to replace with a adorama "40. Other modifiers im about to purchase are a snoot and the "Rosco The Strobist collection" does anyone have experience with this gel kit?

Any input? Any valuable flash modifiers left out? I already have a couple round reflectors.

Last edited:
I've been seriously looking into getting some lighting gear myself. For just a tad more than a 430ex, you can get an Alien Bees flash unit and stand. You can either sync it and your 580 to your cam with a "Y" cable, or if the Alien Bees unit can "see" the flash from your 580, it'll fire that way. Something to think about.

I've been seriously looking into getting some lighting gear myself. For just a tad more than a 430ex, you can get an Alien Bees flash unit and stand. You can either sync it and your 580 to your cam with a "Y" cable, or if the Alien Bees unit can "see" the flash from your 580, it'll fire that way. Something to think about.

Or could i just add a pocketwizard flex to the Alien Bees unit?

Last edited:
Hmm, sadly amazon doesn't offer alienbees, i think im gonna end up going with the 430.

I haven't made my final decision yet though, how much better is the Alien Bees unit compared to the Canon Speedlight, Faster recycle time ? How much stronger is it?

Edit: Never mind, i hit the buy button. TOOOO late, i think i will be happy with the 430/flex. 90% of the work i do is outdoors so im just gonna compile a disgusting amount of speedlights, there so versatile. I'm in love with them and the pocketwizards. Sure its a pretty penny, but they never fail on me. And will last ages.

Last edited:
^ Thanks.

edit

I notice how much bang for buck i get in the alien bees now, I still not regretting getting the 430 though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back