What would you do??

far2canadian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just joined the group. I've been browsing around the forums for a couple days, and really have found you all very helpful in the advice dept. no matter how silly the problem. Also there seems to be plenty of very promising photographers in the crowd. Love all the shots.

Flattery aside, here's what I'm looking for some help with. My entire camera system(Pentax SLR/3 lenses/filters/cables, and Fuji Digital compact), everything was stolen from my house about 2 months ago. First of all, I had it all insured, so no need to gasp too heavily. I obviously need to buy a new system, and with all the talk of Digi vs. Film......and all the sites and opinions out there, I've found my myself sitting more on the fence with every article I read. There's alot of good arguments for both.

I have about US$1900 to spend on everything.........
Choices---->Rebuild the film system. Looking at a Canon Elan 7 Body(US$300-400 Used), and buying another Digital compact($300-$400) Thus leaving me with about US$1100-$1200 to replace lenses, filters and accessories. I would like to get a tele-zoom, wide-zoom, and possibly a macro lens if possible, but most likely just lens extnders due to cost.

Choice 2------>Get a shiny new DSLR system. I could use the money for the compact digi to push my SLR body budget up to about US$800-900, allowing myself to get a Nikon D70 or Canon 350D Digital Rebel XT.......leaving about US$1000 for the replacement of lenses, filters, accessories.............I'd be minus one digicam, but would it be worth it??

I'm an English Teacher and I don't spend too much time in the country, mostly finding myself in countries where E6 development can be a problem, or impossible. That being said, I don't have a computer at the moment either, although I'm sure I could get one thats capable of digital editing soon enough........

I'm lost, So....ANY thoughts are very much appreciated,

Thanks in advance
Far2Canadian

In your circumstances, sounds like digital might be the best option,

Mainly because of developing- and instead of havigna digital compact you might as well have a top class DSLR that will take better snaps than a compact anyway,

Unless you want to stick with film because you like the development (i guess if you can't find developers you dont develop yourself anyway) or if you just like the feel of film,

I guess because you've had a digital compact your used to the way they take photos and then using the computer rather than getting prints back, if you don't mind that digital will be perfect for you- head to your local shop and have a play first though!

for what reason would you go with the Canon fading? Just a personal choice?

In the long run, digital compared to film works out a lot cheaped. And I assume most people with SLR's will eventually upgrade to a DSLR. So why waste time? (and money)

I would choose the canon over the nikon, because I have a canon (300D) and it's a great camera. I think Nikon's would also be a good camera, but I haven't personally used one, so I can't recommend them.

But I have heard that canon's have a greater range of accessories.

Call me something along the lines of a traditionalist but I will always have a film camera.

Even if I was to get a digital (money permitting) I couldn't bring myself to do without film.

I can imagine it being on a level with vinyl compared to CDs. Yes with CDs you have the precision and accuracy but it seems to lack any character.

It can only come down to personal choice I think.

Is there really anything you can do with digital that you cant do with film?

I'd say digital, since I recently bought a film SLR and had returned it to the shop in exchange for a digital Canon350D within about a week. I was getting so angry with developers and waiting around etc, but thats just me, I've been growing up in the rapidly moving digital era and so I guess its hard to go "back in time" so to speak. I had a compact digital first also, so I was used to taking a picture and having it on screen and a print in my hands within minutes. Since you've used film before and were used to it you probably don't have the same annoyances as me. I have to point out also, I noticed a considerable difference in picture quality since moving to the digital, 8 megapixel detail is just astounding, but bearing in mind that the film SLR I'd bought was more entry level than anything else.

If you go digital I'd recommend Canon (unless you have huge hands of course) because the main body is quite compact and small compared to others. I work part time in a consumer-electronics store and spend quite a lot of time messing with our dSLRs (unsuspecting photo-victims mwa haha :fangs: ), which mainly consist of Canon, Nikon and Minolta. Out of the three the Canon felt the nicest to me, the Nikon and Minolta are to be frank quite bulky and heavy... I'm no musclewoman so I couldn't be doing with that! :lol:

Albeit the Nikon might have a slightly more user friendly interface, I'd rather get used to the Canon's and not have to put up with having a bigger heavier piece of kit. :blushing:

At least bear in mind if you go back to 35mm SLRs, with the intention of going digital at a later stage, that most manufacturers have made their dSLR lenses compatible with a lot of the normal SLR lenses (within their brand only).... so if you plan to go digital later, think carefully about which make to go for and check if their lenses are interchangeable with their digital models, and at least that way you'll save some money on lenses further down the line!

Good luck with your choices! :thumbup:

Well, right now we have two digitals, the Canon 10D and the Nikon D70 along with several film camera and very soon a small compact digital to take with us when we don't want to risk the gear getting damaged (like to the pool with the kids). Based on your situation digital might be the better way to go if you can get a computer to go along with it. As for your choices, between the D70 and the 350D I much prefer the D70, with battery life and virtually no lag when the camera is turned on being some of my favorite features over the 10D. A lot of it will come down to which model feels best in your hands. Good luck with your decision, they are both very nice cameras and I'm sure you would be very happy with either of them!

Most reactions

Back