Whatcha lookin' at, Freak!?

they look pissed. must be teenagers.

Those are barn swallows. They usually get crowded in these small nests when it's almost time to take off. I've no idea why moms build such tiny nests since the usual clutch is 5 eggs, sometimes lower.

And they're hungry, crowded, waiting on mom to fly in and feed them in this summer heat.

Yeah, they're annoyed, but from the looks of it they're healthy and growing and will be a distant memory in a week or so. Except for the poop, of course. :icon_mrgreen:

We've learned to put flat boxes under the nests for easy cleanup once they take off.

Barn swallows 2020 - babies and mom.jpg

Those are barn swallows. They usually get crowded in these small nests when it's almost time to take off. I've no idea why moms build such tiny nests since the usual clutch is 5 eggs, sometimes lower.

And they're hungry, crowded, waiting on mom to fly in and feed them in this summer heat.

Yeah, they're annoyed, but from the looks of it they're healthy and growing and will be a distant memory in a week or so. Except for the poop, of course. :icon_mrgreen:

We've learned to put flat boxes under the nests for easy cleanup once they take off.
Yep. It looks like the parents returned, and may lay a second clutch of eggs. They did that last year. I caught a blue-jay kidnapping one of the little ones. I keep a pooper scooper underneath, beccause I found they are impractical for scooping up doggy doo. Once the season is over, I empty the scooper into the compost bin and mix it in.

Most reactions

Back